Is it possible to like metal, but dislike screaming?

I myself only listen to metal bands from the genres symphonic, prog, neoclassical and also certain alt metal acts (who go more into the hard alternative rock generation and aren't really metal at all and also never say they were lol) because I dislike screaming. Is that actually right?

Actually, if you want to be technical according to genres - the genres you have described are not genres that usually contain much intense 'screaming' throughout the ENTIRE song - rather they focus on STRONG and increased vocal tempos, intense & extended guitar riffs, drum solos, etc.

Rather, you need to look to the sub-genres of Heavy Metal and Hard Rock, sub-genres such as Death Metal, Black Metal, Deathcore, etc. (artists whose MAJORITY of songs have INTENSE screaming and/or growling throughout the song).

So, the music styles you're saying you like, are not technically screaming music nor does this mean that you HAVE to like all music by one artist or all music within a genre.

This is not saying that there isn't a lot of cross over styles within one artist - and artist can be labeled as Metal, even though they do some Thrash or Death Metal and possibly even 'regular' Rock. One good example is the band Demon Hunter: they are labeled as Heavy Metal, but often cross over into Death Metal or Metalcore because they do a lot of screaming and growling in a lot of songs.

Having said that, you can like whatever style of music you want - in that, there isn't any right or wrong - even though some people might tell you otherwise. 

To sum up:

Death Metal: majority of the song is screaming and/or growling

Metal: majority of the song is INTENSE vocals, possibly with some screaming

Like you, I prefer my music (for the most part) without screaming and growling. Bands like Demon Hunter and Five Finger Death Punch - two bands with AMAZING lead singers - I much prefer to hear the purity of their voices, rather than it being distorted by screaming or growling. On the other hand, there are a few songs I love that I think are enhanced by a little screaming (MOURNING STAR by Gemini Syndrome). Even though the majority of music I listen to is Alt Rock, Hard Rock and Progressive - this doesn't mean I don't like other kinds of music. 

Music is personal and a form of art - and all art is open to interpretation - and influences each of us in different ways. I think the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing. NO ONE should ever worry about what someone else thinks about their opinion, especially when it comes to art - like what you like and own it. Even when I don't like someone else's music, I love that they know it's okay to listen to what makes THEM happy. 

"We're one, but we're NOT the SAME..." -U2

You don't like the screaming? How dare you. Hang your head in shame. Because every self-respecting Metal fan knows that you must like every single piece of Metal. And protect it with your life at all costs. And if you don't conform to these regulations there is a €500,000 fine that goes with it. Now you accept these or else. 

Source(s): A little birdy told me after stealing my crack.
    • Chad²1 month agoReport

Fvckin A man. That really IS how things should be. 

Considering the fact that it happened to you, I would say it's very possible.  

Everyone likes the stuff they like.  There's no right or wrong involved with personal preference.

As a metal guy myself, yes. In metal there's a vocal style called "Clean Singing" or "Clean Vocals". Some songs that use this are:

Godmaker by Vanden Plas

From the Heaven of My Heart by Amorphis

Breathing Through You by Funeral

Sense of Time by Crematory

Wolves Die Young by Sonata Artica

Most of these songs use a deep "gothic" mens vocal style singing, except the last song which is higher pitched by not screaming. Enjoy!

• Nocturne1 month agoReport

Also give "Who's Fist Is This Anyway" and "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck" by Prong.

"Is that actually right?"

To each is own man. As long as you set out to find the best music you can thats all I care about. 

• Quato

You can do whatever you want, there are no rules.

Here's a song from a super group. It's made up of the guys who invented metal. Notice there's no screaming ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2vxQApPg40

Youtube thumbnail

No. You must stop immediately. Unless you do, you are in immediate danger, the genre police will (at the least expected time), grab you, tie you up, and force you to listen to Banana Splits and the Archies for 3 months straight.

You must stop immediately.

Or you could say "screw the genre police" and keep listening to what you like.

• Linus1 month agoReport

I choose the latter.