Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Can I complain about my employer for taking money out of my paycheck?

I received tuition reimbursement from my employer in September but now I have found a new job. I gave them 3.5 weeks notice. I asked them to take my tuition reimbursement from PTO hours which will be cashed out to me but the said no. I asked if the money could be split between my last three paychecks but again, they said no. I received a $67 dollar check and will receive another my next pay. My final paycheck I will receive my normal 1200 check plus a 300 hour PTO check.

The HR rep also told me it was payroll who handled how the money was taken out but I called payroll and they disagreed. Payroll said it was HR who was  responsible for how much,where, and when it would be taken out.

And this is why older folks counsel younger folks to be ready for the worst.  We also recommend that you limit whining, if the new job doesn't work out, you should have be burning your bridges.  You might need to go back or a need a decent reference.

You took the tuition reimbursement 9 months ago.  You knew the company had a policy of asking for repayment if you didn't stay at least another x years.

You announced you were leaving a month ago.  When in the intervening 8 months did you realize you were going to leave?  That was when you needed to get the money you would have to pay back together.  As for unused paid time off, assuming they pay it to all departing employees, wasn't yours until you left and they reconciled the books.  Yes, it's a shame they didn't "trust" you to work 3 more pay periods and not take any time off, but they didn't.  Some employers won't accept notice--eg, they walk you off the premises that day with no more pay.

I think you already DID complain. Other than your question, who else were you thinking you could complain TO? You already called your employer and HR and Payroll. There's no GOOD reason they did what they did, but they did it and you just have to live with it. There isn't any agency that would be able to make them do it over again. 

You can complain all you want.  Have a nice day.

Complain to whoever you want. You have exactly ZERO legal recourse. What they are doing is 100% legal AND proper.

No. If you owe the money, you owe the money, and the company can take it from the source that makes it easiest for them.

• John1 month agoReport

Doesn't mean that anybody can stop them from complaining about it.

You likely signed something agreeing to this when you were employed, so probably not.  

• John1 month agoReport

They probably did, but I doubt if there was anything in the agreement forbidding them from complaining about it.

Sure. Complain until you are blue in the face. Won't matter.

You can complain about whatever you'd like, but their still going to follow their own policies.