Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 4 months ago

Two stimulus payments! What do I do?

I have two bank accounts. One for me and one for my daughter (she’s 11). 

I received a $1200 stimulus payment in April. 

To my surprise, my daughter’s bank account received a $1200 today!! 

What’s going on? Again, she’s only 11.

The IRS isn’t answering their phones. 

If you receive a payment by accident or error, it is up to YOU to take care of returning it. Tell the bank to reverse the deposit because it was made in error. Do NOT spend that money. You got two checks because they don't know how old your daughter is or that she is your dependent and there are two bank accounts and two social security numbers. But you are not entitled to that extra payment--so you have to return it. 

It probably means the money was for someone else who entered her bank account number by mistake.  Don't spend it.

• Beth

Contact the Internal Revenue Service by postal mail to advise them about the two stimulus payments.  

Set it aside and don't touch it.

I had read guidance from the IRS that even if someone NOT eligible for a stimulus payment received one, the IRS would NOT be coming after it.    But...that is intended for people who's tax status changed (such as they were not a dependent in 2018 but they were in 2019 and hadn't filed before the stimulus checks).

I suspect they may come looking for the money.   I can't see how they would issue penalty or interest since the error isn't yours, but be prepared to pay it back immediately upon request.

Is your daughter receiving Social Security?

Q54. What should I do to return an Economic Impact Payment (EIP)? (updated May 26, 2020)

A54. You should return the payment as described below.

Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.

Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.

Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-pa...

Go to the bottom.

• Judy

Don't spend the extra ones.  You'll have to pay them back,

Might not should cash that or cash it and return half by mail. Of course they are not answering their phones. Eventually, they will open their mail.