Landlord trying to charge me after 2 years?

I used to live in apartment (in Oregon) with a few friends a few years back. Upon moveout, we got a bill for like $800, our security deposit covered a few hundred of it. My roommates and I split the bill and all paid our portion individually. 2 years later the apartment complex is stating we have an unpaid balance. Over the years, they have not called me (I was the primary lease holder), or emailed, or sent a letter, etc. stating we had a remaining balance. Are they allowed to request payment from 2 years ago?

Are you sure your roommate paid his or her share? If they did not, then you are on the hook for that. However, if both of you have proof that you paid up, they can tell it to the judge.

They're allowed to TRY. But if you have records that you paid your part of the money, then they can't do anything about it--to you. They are trying to collect an unpaid debt and creditors have a right to do that. 

YES...........................................

• Maxi

There is no such thing as "primary lease holder" unless you were the only legal tenant and the others you sublet to, if you all signed the contract you are all equally and individually liable for 100% of costs.....and yes the money is owed, that debt doesn't  disappear in 2 years just because you haven't paid it in full

Of course they can, and they can sue you to get it.  Why didn't you pay the balance two years ago, when it was due?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • R P

You'll need to look up the statute of limitations for Oregon. The odds are that, yes, they can still sue you for their money.

They can try, depends on the SOL for debt collection in your state, usually it is about 4 years. 

The statute of limitations in Oregon on collecting debts (that are outside of the purchase of consumer goods from a merchant engaged in that business, which is just one year) is SIX years.  They can take legal action to collect the debt. But they must prove that you owe the debt AND that it wasn't paid. Your defense is coming up with proof that ALL of you paid shares that equaled the $800 originally due.  You having proof that you paid your portion does you no good as the primary tenant on the lease, as the law technically makes each one of you responsible for the total debt. It's just that the landlord can't charge you, collectively, more than than what was owed.

if you were primary, YOU owe the entire bill and its your responsibility to deal with the other tenants

if all roommates signed the  lease, you were not primary, you were all equal.  LL is not your mommy and had no obligation to remind you to pay.

since you claim to be primary, did you make sure the others paid?

state laws vary on statute of limitations, I suspect the LL can still collect..they requested payment when you moved out 2 years ago.

Anyone can request anything. But if its been 2 years I doubt they have a chance of collecting now.