Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

I want to break his logic. I want to disprove his logic. I want to_____his logic. Are 1 and 2 correct? what other word I can use here?

• User

- I want to refute his logic.

is probably the best terminology to use. It means that you want to show that his reasoning is logically faulty.

• bluebellbkk

Note that 'refute' means destroying the other person's argument so effectively that there can be no possible come-back.

"Yes" to your first question; and "I want to confound his logic" could be a possible answer to your second question.

Fault his logic.

This is kind of a hard one. 

You can't 'break' logic.  I mean, I know what you mean when you say it, but technically it doesn't make sense.

To 'disprove' logic is better, but logic can't really be proven or disproven.  Again, I'm totally sure what you're saying, so it's okay to say that.  But it's wrong.  (I'm being a jerk, aren't I?)

The purpose of language is to transmit meaning, and both these words work for that even if they're not perfectly suited, they're 'inelegant'.

I would say 'discredit'.  'Credit' means to believe, to have faith in.  You are saying the logic is not creditable, that people shouldn't believe it or have faith in it, and you are going to show why they shouldn't.  'Debunk' might also be a good word.

• Larry K.

Logic in and of itself cannot be disproven, but that which we call logic can. You cannot disprove truth but you can disprove what someone thinks is true.