Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

Serious question: How would things have played out different if Ron Paul was elected president instead of Donald Trump?

No, I'm curious for a decent answer. I'll appreciate a sarcastic answer if it's funny, but for those who have a serious answer with a logical explanation, I'd like to hear it.

YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE SEEN MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OBAMA AND PAUL

TRUMP'S BIGGEST ADVANTAGE IS THAT HE IS NOT A POLITICIAN

• Archer

Kind of asking if a snowball would melt at the equator now isn't it!

Probably no COVID-19 payouts, for one thing. 

• Desire

Too scary to even imagine.

• Tmess2

Assuming that Ron Paul had run again in 2016 (instead of his son) and somehow won, it's hard imagining anything that he could have gotten done.  

Ron Paul was more a Libertarian than a Republican so it's unlikely that he could have gotten any of his proposals through Congress.  At least, Trump managed to get some Republican ideas passed in his first two years (whether that is good or bad depends on your point of view).

Similarly, I think Ron Paul would have difficulty getting many people confirmed to his cabinet or the courts.  Donald Trump's nominees may have been very conservative, but they were mostly within the mainstream.

The main positive improvement would have been that Ron Paul would have been less of a walking conflict of interest.  I can't see Ron Paul having stumbled into the problems that have plagued the Trump Administration (e.g. Ukraine).    

It would have been historical considering Ron Paul only ran a presidential campaign in 2012 but not in 2016! Yes, he received one electoral vote in 2016 but that was a fluke.......or a flounder or something!