Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

If a car is AWD, is it still important to put on winter tires in a state with harsh winter weather or is all season ok?

AWD provides more traction when starting from a stop. But it doesn't improve braking or cornering. Winter tires and AWD provide the absolute best performance on snow and ice. See this post to learn how much better they stop and corner

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/best-winter-...

On MOST on the planet, winter tires are not important on any vehicle.

Just remember that AWD will do nothing for braking or steering on slippery surfaces. It may help you avoid getting stuck but is no substitute for the correct tires for the conditions.

• Andy C

Totally depends on your environment.   I drove a Subaru with Blizzaks up Mt. Rainier for New Year's in '99 and it was a TANK.

Now, as an adult,  winter tires take the fun out of winter driving,  yet for my 4×4 I use only winter-rated all terrain tires.

My wife's Subaru runs the stock all season Duellers and we live in the foothills  of the Cascades  in Western Washington. 

When I drove my old Subaru in Detroit in the winter,  I was VERY happy that I had winter tires.   I beat a Corvette at a drag race, but with 4" of ice on the road, they just spun out!

I strongly recommend that you teach yourself how to drive well in the winter and not rely on AWD.  It'll help immensely,  but a cool head beats technology at any time. 

• F

Various trials (see YouTube ) have shown a 2wd car with winter tyres is better ( has more traction) on snow and ice than AWD/ 4WD on regular tyres.

People who dismiss winter tyres have never used them.

All seasons are just fine

I have an AWD Lincoln MKZ.   The problem is not the tires,  it is the total lack of ground clearance.   Snow builds up in front of the car like I was driving a snow plow and the car gets stuck from all the show that is in front of it.   Snow tires may help but that will not solve the ground clearance problem.   If the roads are plowed then the all season tires work just fine.

• Dan

Depends on your driving habits but snow tires are generally helpful.

Snow tires definitely do a better job than all seasons.  

Yes tires are still important.  Even when you have AWD, sure you can go fast, but with all season tires, you will stop like any other car and run into other cars because you cant stop.  AWD give you a false sense of security.  Without winter tires, your just like any other car on the road.  And that is dangerous.  

Do what we do, buy a second set of steel rims and put your winter tires on those rims.  Then when winter comes, you just change wheels.  Those winter tires should last between 4 and 5 years depending on how far you drive.  Also your all seasons should also last 4-7 years because they are only run in the summer.