Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Is there any way I could end a lease from feeling unsafe?

I do love my apartment building, it is absolutely beautiful here but I do fear for my safety often and unfortunately we have only been here for about two months. In that two months, there has been two robbings, one of which has happened in the broad daylight. During the one in the daylight, the men were documented using AK-47s. 

We take our dog out multiple times a night as he is just a little guy (yes we make sure to be extremely quiet when we do this) and just a few days ago when we took him out, there was a car stalking us. Driving back and forth, stopping next to us before taking off and they eventually pulled into a space right outside of our building which scared the absolute **** out of us. It definitely had us calling the cops, especially since this car was out there three hours prior doing the same thing. We just thought it may be a resident at that time. 

I don’t feel safe here whatsoever with the two robberies and this situation from the other night. I think it’s sad that we can’t even feel safe enough to take our dog to a patch of grass about 20 feet from our apartment during the night. Please don’t be rude, as I am just curious of the answer for this question. Again, we’ve only been here for two months and our apartment is in a supposed safe neighborhood. It just does not feel like it. 

Our landlord has made no comment about any of these events. 

First of all, carry pepper spray or mace.

Second, if this is supposed to be a safe neighborhood, how do you think you'll be safer moving someplace else?

The FIRST thing I would do, besides the pepper spray, is start following the news really carefully, and see if there actually is a neighborhood safer than yours. You've already leased one apartment that you regret, so rather than just randomly pick another apartment and be disappointed again, do some research.

The second part of your research will be, "Can you afford an apartment in the new neighborhood you want to live in? 

It won't do any good to get out of your lease without a plan for where to live next.

But you are really asking if you can break the lease without consequence, and ... at any given time — i.e., I'm feeling unsafe at the moment; or I'm feeling lonely her; ... How do I get rid of a tenant with no lease renting on a month to month basis,

There are a lot of things you can do to feel a little safer. Carry mace with you when you walk your dog. Get a security system installed. Even wearing a whistle would be a better idea than walking at night alone in a place you don't feel safe. 

You won't be able to break your lease over this I'm betting. Not without paying for the remaining months, anyway. 

• SimplytheFACTS

don't install anything without LL permission...unless its not attached to any walls

You can end it - legally if the lease allows.  If you do it illegally, then it will cost you.  The landlord did not hire these people to stalk you so you cannot fault him.  You chose to rent there.  Nobody put a gun to your head.  Take your cell phone with you and be prepared to call the police immediately when you feel threatened.

Depending on where you are, and your state specific landlord-tenant laws, I think you're out of luck. Unless you yourself are the victim of domestic violence of someone else on your lease you would be unable to break the lease for safety concerns as you have stated. Seems silly, but in Texas that's the way the law is. Even in the aforementioned instance it's not exactly guaranteed you could be let out of the lease. So if you're wanting to just leave and not worry about repercussions of doing so, I would wait it out.

• n2mama

You can almost always end a lease, and you can always move out. The real question is how much it will cost you to do so. You cannot break your lease without penalty due to this issue. It is not the landlords issue, and he has no control over it.  It is unlikely the neighborhood changed significantly since you moved in (although quarantine has affected some crime rates in some areas), did you do your own due diligence about crime rates in the area before you moved in?you say it’s in a “supposed safe” area, but what is that assumption based on?

Either way, if you don’t want to live there, you need to find out how much it will cost you to leave. Your lease may have an early termination clause that spells out the penalty (often several months rent) to terminate your lease early. If not, how much your landlord can charge you depends on your state laws. Some places the landlord has to make an effort to find a new renter, and you have to pay rent in the meantime, plus the costs (advertising, etc) the landlord puts into finding the new renter. Some places the landlord does not have to mitigate his damages, in which case you could be held responsible for the rest of the lease.

I’m sorry you don’t feel safe in your neighborhood, but this is not grounds to get out of your lease for free.

Sure, pay the fees and leave.  

Generally no; as this is outside the control of the landlord.

You can talk to the landlord about it, but they're not obliged to break the lease for this, and if they agree there's likely to be financial penalties for doing so.

• R P

You can move out because no one can force you to live somewhere. However, there are consequences.

Read your lease. If it contains an early termination clause, pay the fees as outlined, give proper notice, and move. The lease is ended and you have no further legal obligation.

If your lease does not contain an early termination clause, ask your landlord how much it will cost to terminate the lease. 

• Judy

read your las.  There might br a way to nd it early, but it will cost you some money.