Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Puppy Blues?

Hello! We have a four month old hound mix, and most of the time he’s a sweet heart but boy does he have a stubborn streak.

He gets obsessed with trying to chew something and if you stop him he’ll lunge back for it, sometimes catching you in the process. 

Potty training is a nightmare! We’ve been outside for five hours, loading him up with water and he would not pee outside. As soon as we got him in, he’d pee. Our trainer recommended a puppy pad, moving it slowly towards the door we want him to go out to go to the bathroom. But he’s completely ignored it! We’ve bought attractant, and all he did was lick it off the grass. 

He can be lovely! He walks almost perfectly on leash, and is a cutie when he meets new people. He already almost has sit down pat. 

Unfortunately, I’m a minor in the house and while I am forced to do most of his care (which I don’t mind) I’m not allowed to try anything new. 

Anyways, what are your puppy blues? 

Because I guess I left things open to assumption I’ll clear the air.

I’m not an idiot that stayed still for 5 hours. He’s got a flirt pole and multiple rope toys. He’s not a big fan of balls at the moment. 

I know it takes time. I didn’t ask for a cure all or quick fix. 

We knew what we were getting into. Especially with a shelter pup that was raised in an indoor/outdoor kennel instead of a foster home.

He’s also on a schedule. 

8am he gets fed, even if let out of his crate sooner. 

He’s walked half a mile after eating, around our neighborhood, and then I take him out into the backyard to play/hope he does his business. 

He usually comes back in and takes a very long nap with me on the couch. 

Today he for an extra walk, so in total he walked 1 1/2 miles today and played for like 7 hours in backyard total. 

Potty training?  I'd try housebreaking.  Potty training is difficult what with putting the diapers on and off, flushing the toilet and so forth.  Sometimes it's easy to research something if you know what it's called.  If that isn't bad enough you feed him AND THEN YOU WALK HIM.  I'm not quite sure you're not an idiot, but I'll take your word that you are not.

Puppy blues involve rehoming the animal.  Being bored or over your head or something else does not qualify as puppy blues.

If the dog lunges and bites or nips or however you want to excuse it, HIRE A TRAINER.  This will NOT be amusing after someone is injured.

Of course, that assumes he doesn't bloat and die after the water and feeding/walking.

And, yes, my dog bloated and died - on water and a long walk because MY sister decided to "help out."

If this dog was born & raise inside, rather than outside, think of the main difference between inside & outside.  Inside has a ceiling/roof right?  He only knows to pee under a roof cause he has never been outside to go potty.  Outside is VAST & he can't go when he is not under a roof/ceiling.  The trainers suggestion of moving a potty pad closer & closer to the door has worked for many a dog.  If the door has a window, he can see outside when the pad is by the door.

You might want to google, 'how to potty train a puppy?' & get some ideas of methods that are used to potty train puppies.  Just knowing why puppies are hard to housebreak, hopefully you will find a little trick that just works perfect with your particular situation.

• Amber

He's not being stubborn he's simply unsure of what he's meant to do. He sees outdoor time as play time and associates it with that. I know, even with my older dog, if I take her outside to play she'll play instead of going to the loo. Not all dogs do this but some are easily distracted, especially when it's something they want to do instead. Then you take him indoors and stop playing and his mind returns to his bladder or bowels. 

I corrected this with my dog by assigning an area for toilet, because in my experience, a pee pad only encouraged indoor toileting.

I had a well fenced back and front garden. I used the back for playtime and would take her for a walk by using the side gate. Front garden was just for toileting and never left using the front gate. So when she got out there she knew nothing would happen of any interest. I wouldn't interact with her or speak to her. It was boring for her. I also timed her toileting. I observed her for a day or two and noticed she would pee half and hour after being fed. So I'd feed her and take her out half and hour later and just stand there. She'd pee. I'd treat and we'd go in. I know it's gross but if she pooped outside I left it on the floor for a day or so before picking it up. She got rewarded for going outside and no rewards for going inside. No dog is truly toilet trained. They will ALL go in the house eventually if not let out at the right time. So it's really down to you. Some dogs learn to ask; others don't. But this worked for us, although it did take months. But having an assigned area and timing it right helped the problem. It's important to time it right so the dog does associate what's happening with going to the toilet. Using another dog can also be an effect trick.

This isnt "puppy blues"..   Puppy blues is when you actually begin to regret getting the puppy because the changes in household routine have you so mentally exhausted that you are bordering on depression.

Frustration with training isnt puppy blues

• patty

look on youtube for potty training. When the dog does go outside praise him and give treats

When you get stubborn (especially with a hound), change your approach!!  Make what you want seem to be his idea!  And to get him to leave/drop something dangerous for him or valuable to you, TRADE.  That should stop the lunging to take anything back.

Another thing - there's absolutely no point keeping a puppy outside for hours - they will always find something interesting to get into, not knowing what you want.   If he doesn't empty within the first 5 minutes outside, bring him back indoors, but instead of letting him have the run of the house, keep him in the room by the outside door and STAY WITH HIM.   The moment he goes to squat, say NO! and take him straight back outside.   Loads of praise when he does something outside (either), correct ONLY in the act indoors and clean up his mistakes (which are your mistakes) properly, without comment.   He'll be watching and as dogs usually want to please their owners, if only for a quiet happy life, may get the message!   NO PEE PADS - ever.  These only tell the dog it's fine to empty indoors, even with the moving it towards the door idea.

Please DO NOT exercise immediately after a meal.   Especially important with a deep chested breed because of the risk of GDV (Bloat with or without torsion).  Never exercise for 2 hours after a meal, and don't feed for 1 hour after exercise or coming home.  Th system needs to rest before being fed.  We don't normally take exercise on a full stomach - why should a dog?

In any case, you are giving way too much exercise to a 4 month old puppy.

It is a 4 month old PUPPY. Training takes time and repetitiveness. You need to put the puppy on a schedule. Since he is a puppy you should be feeding him in the morning and then in the evening. Keeping water out all day changed a few times a day. Make going outside fun. Not a chore for the dog. House breaking a puppy is about getting the jog to go outside and do his business. Make it fun for him to go outside bring a favorite toy or a ball. Instead of standing around for 5 hours waiting for the dog to go to the bathroom play with the dog and train him. Keep to  the schedule. Have regular scheduled walks so the dog can do its business.

• Verulam 1

A puppy needs 3 meals a day - breakfast, lunch and tea.  Depending on how well he's doing, weight-wise.  Some even need a late evening feed.  We feed our adult hounds two meals a day, splitting the daily amount in two.