Daisy Lopez asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My 8-month old puppy won't eat dog food anymore. Any advice?

I own a Chow Chow and he's 8 months old now. I've been buying the same brand of dog food (small bite sizes) ever since my puppy is 2 months old. He's eating eat with no complain. Just recently, the supplier gave me the large bite sizes but the same brand of dog food because the small bite sizes are out of stock. Does size matter? I tried to put other food like boiled chicken liver and veggies but he still he won't eat it.

If I remove the dog food and offer the chicken liver and boiled fish (without seasoning of course), he lits up and eat it. He's not sick. He's very energetic and his coat looks good. It's just very hard to feed him the large bite sized dog food.

Dog food's kibble size (in the case or a medium sized dog who is now minimum ADULT size) should not be an issue, unless dog has tooth problems. Puppies do get MOLARS in between 8-9 months though, but we do not usually see difficulty in chewing.

You can choose to use a food processor or meat mallet to POUND up the kibble to test to see = if SIZE is the issue. Or, you can add warm water to the kibble & let it sit for a few minutes to soften it.  WARM water also helps release fats & flavor.  

If you start ADDING stuff, not normally fed.... puppy will QUICKLY learn to go "ON STRIKE" and HOLD OUT - for better stuff.  I would be MORE likely to add a tablespoon or two of canned dog food in a very small amount & made into a watered down GRAVY, than to give liver (which can cause DIARRHEA in dogs).Do keep in mind - as weather warms, dogs often develop a lower appetite.  It ALSO not uncommon for flavor and/or ingredients to be changed at least 10-20% (in a dog food depending on availability) WITHOUT a labeling change.  It is POSSIBLE the food does not TASTE the same.  There is nothing wrong with a gradual SWITCH to another kibble & he may be ready to transition to adult vs puppy food, if that has not happened.

Just feeding your dog dry kibble is not a good thing.  You ought to try canned food. 

I think your dog is probably okay, though it is always good to talk with the vet about these things during check-ups just to make sure. Unfortunately, dogs can be picky at times. You went about it in a good way, and I think you've done what you can.

• PR

If the dog food the supplier is offering is not working for the dog, you can return it. Normally a pet supply store will give you are refund if your pet will not eat the food, so perhaps this supplier also will.

Perhaps the kibble in the larger size is a somewhat different formulation and the dog senses this.

Other reasons a dog may not eat its food:

-Tired of the food, ate it long enough.

-Food does not set with the dog/dog's stomach.

-Does not supply the dog's current nutritional needs.

-Being fed too much, not hungry enough to eat it.

-Sick and needs a vet check-up.

I would suggest getting a refund for this bag of food. Try to get the original food from a different supplier. If the dog will not eat the same food he was on, then switch foods since he is likely tired of this same food. Keep in mind how you would feel if you were to eat the same thing for years - or even months - on end.

Look at the dog and his body condition and weight. Most often, dog and cat food bags suggest too much food. Consider reducing the amount of food offered if the dog may be getting too much. He may become hungry again, once his body metabolism has reset. 

We have always added a bit of water to our dog's food, which makes it more palatable. Sometimes just a tablespoon or two of canned added to this mix may also make it more tempting.

Take the dog to the vet if he won't eat. Any number of health issues can cause a dog to go off its food; don't wait longer than a couple days before consulting with the vet if he won't eat.