Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Why do Christians say ''Jesus died for your sins''?

Are they trying to guilt us into something? I wasn't there 2000 years ago and Jesus's death is not my fault. The Romans crucified him. Go solve it with them. 

• Paul

Your are not responsible for the sins of the Romans, or anyone else. Just your own sins. And it was for those sins that Jesus came to Earth and suffered an agonizing death.

They're not trying to put blame on you. Think of it like this. Before Jesus was killed, they had to sacrifice animals as compensation in order to be forgiven. However, God sent his son to be born and killed as an Ultimate Sacrifice so that that wouldn't be necessary anymore. He wasn't killed BECAUSE you sinned, he was killed FOR your sins, so that you can be forgiven through him. Hope that cleared things up :)

They are brainwashed to believe that story, and now they are afraid it is not true, so they try to recruit atheists so they can feel safer.  LOL!

Actually, he didn't, really.  What he did was suffer an infinite punishment for sin in the quiet hours before his arrest, so his punishment can be substituted for ours, under the right conditions.

He died so he could resurrect himself (and all of us) into tangible, physical life, health, and immortality.

There are some dishonest Christians (or people pretending to be Christian) who want only your money or your adulation.  But no, I don't think the majority of us want to gully you into anything.

• Saad M

Jesus was called back by God.

• Matt

Jesus died of his own free will so that you could be Forgiven of all your sins and so that you could be made the Righteousness of God through Him!

(John 10:17) Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

When Jesus was being betrayed to be taken away to be crucified, one of His followers drew his sword and cut off the ear of one of those that had come for Jesus and Jesus told him to put away the sword and that if he wanted he could pray and have twelve legions of angels to protect him but then what he came for wouldn't be fulfilled!

(John 10:52-54) Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

What perfect Adam lost for his future offspring due to his sin in the garden of Eden, that being the right to everlasting life as perfect human beings on a paradise earth, the only way God's original purpose for humankind could be restored, was to provide another perfect human being as a ransom in order to balance the scales of justice. We can be thankful that God provided his first born, Jesus Christ as the perfect human to do just that. Jesus willingly offered his life - yes he had to die in order to buy back for humans what Adam had lost for them. Jesus sacrifice therefore opens up the way for those exercising faith in that ransom provision, not only to have their sins forgiven, if they're determined not to practise sin wilfully, but to have the prospect of a resurrection from death to life on earth under the arrangement of his kingdom governing the earth from the heavens.

See John 3:16 and the matter of exercising faith.Truth is a wonderful asset. Do more exploration at jw.org/Bible questions answered.

They usually add, "and for my sins too". The whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, has a constant theme of God's holiness and righteousness, and our unholiness and sinfulness. Yet God, in love, has dealt with what we do that alienates us from Himself, by causing His righteous judgment on sin to be suffered by His sinless Son, Jesus. Judgment having been poured out on Him, "the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world", God will not punish twice! So, if a person agrees with the verdict of the Judge, that they should be 'sent down' for their crimes against Him (i.e. all our sins) but receives Christ by faith as the One who stood in his stead, then God will say, "No case to answer." Not due to anything we have done but entirely due to His provision for a free pardon, yet without our sins being swept under the carpet!

Yes, we are all responsible for the sacrifice of Christ (which was voluntary on His part) for we all sin and He died for all sin. But if you disbelieve that and continue to think lightly of your offences against God, He will not force that free pardon on you because only those who repentantly receive that provision in faith will benefit from it. Over to you, now...

The Idea of sacrifice originated with man, not God. The Lords of the old testament instituted animal sacrifice to discourage human sacrifice. Those OT rituals re enforced the Idea of scapegoating sin. Jesus sacrificed himself in an attempt to end all sacrifices. GOD did not desire animal blood; GOD does not desire human blood: Both are barbaric traditions.

cause thats what he did