Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Is reading and writing fiction about narcissism?

It's like the only reason people read and write fiction is to gloat about it. At least that's how it comes across to me. That's what the purpose of reading and writing fiction.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Let's see if I've got this straight:  your brain is defective.  You simply have no theory of mind and therefore no spontaneous capacity for empathy though perhaps you can occasionally logic your way to a facsimile.  You hate the fact that other people seem to get something from fiction like they're plucking it from another dimension, in fact it makes you really angry that you just can't do it.  You want to make this feeling other people's fault so you've invented this "narcissism" theory of yours, only it really doesn't fit, no matter how many times you keep asking this question.  Just accept that fiction isn't for you.  Yes, it's sad like being born without arms but the most rest of the world aren't born with a fully functioning brain to make you feel bad.  Let fiction be something mysterious other people do a don't bother with it yourself.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What compels you to continually ask this same question different ways? If you don't like or enjoy fiction, so be it. No one is forcing you to change your mind. Suggesting that each and every person who creates or enjoys fiction is a narcissist is ludicrous. And it's already been established that you know less than nothing about it to begin with. Obviously something about the fact that you dislike it and that it doesn't appeal to you bothers you. Rather than try to demean it and insult it, either actively attempt to stop being a fool or at least remain quiet about the fact that you are one. 

• 1 month ago

You're using the wrong word, that's not what narcissists focus on. 

• 1 month ago

I guess there are some who brag about reading "fine literature", but that doesn't explain the billions of people who don't gloat or who read books that aren't considered anything to brag about. Look at Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, romances, erotica, fantasy, detective stories, westerns, YA etc.

Most people read books purely because they enjoy it. It's no more narcissistic than watching a movie, going to a concert, or hitting the gym for an hour.

Furthermore, studies have shown that reading fiction develops the reader's ability to empathise with others, so if anything it's the opposite of narcissism.

For most writers, writing is hard work, often involving plenty of criticism, and often very little fun at all, until you actually have that finished, polished novel in your hands, and by then you're most likely sick of it, because you've gone over it so many times.

Besides, there'll always be other authors better than you, or who earns more than you, and there's always that someone who did not like your novel and who won't hesitate to point it out while giving you a one star Amazon review.

Not to mention, it's very difficult to be a good novelist if you don't have empathy, which again is a strike against your narcissist theory.

Yes, writing is to a certain degree a selfish endeavour, because you want others to read your novels, and you probably get a kick out of it every time someone likes what you did. But then so is everything where you use your creativity for others' enjoyment, be it singing, art, design, even right down to baking a wedding cake.

Bottom line, the purpose of writing fiction is creative drive, and purpose of reading fiction is entertainment and enjoyment, often while expanding one's horizons and maybe even learning something at the same time.

If you have to ask about the purpose of reading fiction, then this means you're not a reader. Nothing wrong with that, but try not to judge others who are.

As for "gloaters", simply avoid them, just like you might like to take a break from the friend bragging about his new car, house, job, girlfriend all the time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Listen, sweetheart, if you don't want to read fiction, just don't. Nobody here cares.

Meanwhile you should go and look up what 'narcissism' really means.

• sam
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I think that fiction is a great way to transport someone into a world that takes them away from their real life stresses and struggles. 

You don’t have to worry about your bills or the Coronavirus during the short time you’re reading, because you are battling dragons, or flying in a magic bubble or something like that. That is a beautiful gift of temporary freedom from the author to the reader.That doesn’t seem very narcissistic to me. The author has shared some of their imagination with the world instead of keeping it to themselves. 

• 1 month ago

i dont think so

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nobody cares what you think. This idiotic question has already been answered. Just move on and get over it. 

• chorle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

From what I have seen, only if you write fiction on Twitter and get mad when people say it isn't true.

Reading and writing fiction is about being entertained and excising your brain as you consider "What if". 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont think so

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.