Why do Americans waste their money on tips? I have been to 70 countries and the rest of the world doesn't understand this?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Because they're doing the job, and they deserve to get paid.  Other countries pay them more so it's not necessary.  Although I suspect you know all this already.  If that's really how you feel, stay home.

• n2mama
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The rest of the world pay service providers a living wage, the U.S. does not. People in tipped positions, such as restaurant servers are paid significantly below federal minimum wage, with an expectation that the difference will be made up with tips. In other parts of the world tipping is much more of an extra, a true gratuity, rather than an expected part of that persons wage.

I’ve done a lot of international travel, and tend to be an over tipper because I am American. I remind friends and colleagues who are coming to the U.S. to be prepared for the tipping situation (and also that tax is not included on most prices), because that can be a huge shock for them.

For the record, you don’t have to pay more, but if you refuse to follow cultural norms of the country you are visiting, perhaps you should stay home.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

That's how Americans in some jobs earn most of their income.

• 5 months ago

I'm not really interested in what other countries don't understand. It's part of American culture.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Don G
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's not a waste of money, but rather an excellent way to show your response to poor, good, or excellent service.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

That no where else in the world tips is not true but I will agree that few other places in the world are as tip happy as the US.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.