Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why do people say if you let your cat/dog free that's abandonment but if you let your bird free, that's ok?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Do people say that? I don't think so........... Anyone who has a pet is legally responsible to look after it, care for it, feed and house it, abandoning a domestic pet cat/dog or bird is irresponsible and in many countries illegal

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Some people are wrong.  Releasing a bird in the wild if it has not been conditionef and raised for that (eg by wildlife carer caring for wild bird) will result in a dead bird.

Or if it does manage to survive results in an iintroduced pest species.

• 1 month ago

Do they?

I can only speak for myself though imho its not right to free any pet as generally it has no idea of how to look after or feed itself in the wild. Also it would fall prey to other genuinely wild animals  Though with dogs and cats they generally become feral and a nuisance.So are often poisoned or shot.

As for birds, they generally fall as prey to hawks, or carrion birds who attack them in groups.

• 1 month ago

It is not okay to let a caged bird free into the outside.  Other birds will kill it or it won't know how to get food or what is food.  It is very cruel.  It is not okay.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Its not ok to release a domestic or captive raised bird either

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.