How would I go about eating meat for the very first time?

I am 15 years old and have been a vegetarian since birth. My mom has been a vegetarian for 23 years, and is very against the idea of eating meat herself, or me eating it. However, I've gone behind my mom's back a few times this year and eaten very small portions without her knowledge. (For example, one chip with buffalo chicken dip, or a piece of bacon half the size of my thumb.) She's said before she'd be really disappointed in me if I went behind her back and ate it, and that I should just tell her when I'm ready to try it for the first time so she can help me find the right resources. Plus, having no experience eating meat whatsoever, I don't know if I'll get sick eating larger portions than I already have, or if all the dangers my mom warned me against are actually true or if it's just to try to get me to follow in her footsteps.

you must either not think about what meat is

or think like a barbarian and either not care or be glad an innocent animal died.

you have already eaten meat so there is no "first time" any more.

• kswck2

Your Mom should know that peer pressure would push you into eating stuff that she doesn't approve of. And she should just accept it and let you make your own decisions. 

Hey, it could be worse...you could be taking drugs behind her back. She should be happy about this 'issue'. 

• Poultry is probably your easiest entry point. A grilled (not fried) chicken sandwich is pretty easy.

• polly

Not to mention sustainable to stick to because of the delicious nature & high quality protein filling

You’ve been educated by your mother, and while your digestive system may rebel with stomach ramps and diarrhea, seems your curious enough to at least try it. 

• Anton

Vegetables, all the same?  Carrots, cucumbers, corn, peas, lima beans, egg plant, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, onions, potatoes, mushrooms (fungus, not a vegetable), zucchini, etc..  All different tastes and textures.  More -- the same vegetable changes with cooking.

Likewise meats, chicken, pork, ham, bacon, beef, lamb -- different tastes and textures, different parts of the animal have different tastes and textures, how prepared and/or cooked gives different tastes and textures.

Being vegetarian means you are ignoring half of the world.

Starting?  Start with fast food, a cheeseburger, kraut dog, fish and chips....  Go to a Denny's and look at the menu.  Once you get an idea of what you like, try from a better restaurant.  I remember when I found out she would become my wife had *never* had lobster.  Had brain freeze.  You can love lobster, you can hate lobster, but to have not every tried to lobster was unacceptable.

You go about it very slowly.  Your body isn't used to eating animal products, which are loaded with protein and fat.  So try one junior hamburger, possibly a cheeseburger and go easy on the pickles and onions.  Too much stuff all at once can make your stomach protest.  If you would like to try chicken, I recommend eating some rotisserie chicken, like the kind sold in grocery store deli departments.  Again, eat only about a 3 ounce serving - the size of the palm of your hand.  And if you decide you want to add meat to your diet on a regular basis, then plan on switching meats every meal.  Don't have the same meat at each meal.  Also, take the Bible's advice on what kinds of meats (from what sources) are considered safe to eat.  You can find the list in Leviticus 11.  Beef, chicken, lamb, buffalo are all good.  Pork is bad, as well as anything from the ocean that doesn't have both fins and scales. So no lobster or shrimp or catfish.  These, like pigs, are the garbage collectors, the sewage eaters of the planet.  You are what you eat.  If you like the taste of bacon, then go with Morningstar Farms Bacon Strips.  They make an excellent BLT sandwich.

Source(s): Former vegan, present omnivore, on a low carb diet.
  • audrey

You are the smart one. You need nutrients in meat. It tastes delicious. Try a cheeseburger. You will think you are in heaven!

how do you pick your nose? Its not that complicated, its all psychological.  based on your question and your explanation, it seems you've had a very easy life which sometimes makes people like you mentally/emotionally weak, man-up

Meat is food. You don't get sick by eating food unless you are allergic to it - people aren't allergic to meat and, as you say, you've eaten it before.

@Wendigo - you know I used to think that you were long-winded and that your grasp of written English left something to be desired but that your posts were basically sound - I agreed with just about everything you said.

I don't know whether “lockdown” is getting to you, whether you've taken to drinking heavily or what, but you're coming over as a fool. That's twice now you've contradicted one of my answers and looked like an idiot.

People, in general, can consume anything that is classed as “food” with no ill effects. The fact that they haven't consumed it before makes no difference. I was in my thirties before I ate duck, goose, or shellfish, and in my fifties before I ate crab, lobster or oysters. When I ate them there were no ill effects at all, I did not need to begin by eating small amounts or taking any other precautions. There is, actually, no end to the items of food and drink that I have never consumed but I know that I could consume them without problems so long as these things were “food” (note that I would not eat rats, snails, frogs' legs etc. because I do not consider these things to be “food”). One does not need to be a “medical professional” to know this. It is something that just about everyone knows!

The only problem would be the result of an allergy (something that has become very popular and fashionable). Some people are allergic to shellfish, some to peanuts etc. People are not “allergic” to meat generally; people do not have to follow a vegetarian diet because they are allergic to everything else. The only possible exception would be someone with a rare, serious health condition. I have never, ever heard of such a person. It is just as likely that someone somewhere is allergic to everything EXCEPT meat. I have never heard of anyone like this either. These, “exceptions” (which I doubt exist) are way outside the scope of the Food and Drink section of Yahoo Answers. They are also not relevant because the person posting this question has stated that they have already eaten meat.

Now, if you want something useful to do then correct, contradict and guide the idiots who contribute to this section - they people that think food “expires”, that cigarettes aren't harmful, that alcohol is good for you etc. etc. 

I see you don't even have anything to contribute to this question LOL!

@Wendigo - last addition - I think you need help, either that or you need to find something to do with your time, and I mean NO offence there.  When I answer a question here I give MY answer. I don't have to check with you first. You are, of course, free to give yours.

So far as I am concerned these things are facts: a person usually needs to make no special preparations before eating a food they've not had recently or even never had. Everyone eats food for the first time; every single thing we eat or drink we ate or drank for the first time. Meat is no different. Meat is food. In this particular case the person whose question I was answering already eats small amounts of meat. 

Secondly, I claim that people generally are NOT allergic to meat. Given that the huge majority of people (I would claim well over 95%) have eaten meat at some time with no ill-effects I think it's hard to dispute that. There may well be someone somewhere who is allergic to all kinds of meat - beef, lamb, pork, poultry, game, fish, shellfish etc. But this would be rare. So rare that no ordinary people have heard of it and not worth considering when answer a question on YA. I say again, people are not allergic to meat. 

Now, you disagree with that. You think the person posting the question should not eat meat and that people ARE allergic to meat. To me, that's fine, I don't care, but I don't need to justify my answer to you. Post your own answer which will contradict mine. I understand what you are saying, people are allergic fo meat. Good for you - I don't care what you think. What I posted was MY answer. Go and post yours.

Anyway, good luck to you, hope you are well, stay safe.

• Wendigo

have no source on which your claim that no meat allergy exists.However I have another matter to attend to, so my response will come later, and I will address the question with an answer that answers the question, unlike your's failed to do.