Why was Buffy The Vampire Slayer cancelled after Season 5?

From what I read the ratings weren't bad and obviously the show was of high quality.

I don't think it was cancelled.  WB advertised it as the 'WB Series Finale' because the show was moving to UPN the following year, but I don't think it was cancelled.  

I know the show was ended after 7 seasons because of some combination of Joss Whedon deciding the show had run it's course and he felt he had done everything he wanted to do with the characters as well as Sarah Michelle Gellar deciding she wanted to move on since she had a burgeoning movie career starting...or at least she THOUGHT she did.  Turned out, not so much.  Whedon says that he and Gellar told each other almost simultaneously.  Which seem unlikely.  Seems more likely that Gellar initiated, and Whedon didn't want to continue the series without her and tells his story to protect both himself and Gellar from being see poorly by the fans.

• EddieJ

I found one reference that said the WB was unhappy with the high licensing fees.

They really ran out of plot ideas.  That last season was too far fetched even for a fantasy series.