Xbox One controller won't sync?

I can't sync my controller with my Xbox one no matter which method I try. The controller has batteries and is functional, but when I press the home button to turn it on, the light flashes slowly and then goes away after some time. When I press the sync button on the controller at the same time as the sync button on my console, the home button starts to blink faster, but is never able to sync no matter how long I press the two buttons. As a last resort, I tried using a micro USB to sync the controller and still nothing. I can't find anything online to help because the recommended solutions are the things I already tried. 

READ READ READ: ADDITIONALLY, this all STARTED after my console was having trouble connecting to the internet so I went into the settings and pressed an option (forgot which one it was exactly. I think it was "restart network...." or some similar option), after which my controller immediately disconnected and the problems I mentioned above began. Any fix would be much appreciated.

You need to identify whether the fault is with your console, your controller, or with what you’re doing.

If you know anyone else with an Xbox One, try syncing your controller to another console. If that works, borrow a controller from a friend and try syncing it to your console. 

If the first option doesn’t work, then you have a faulty controller. Probably easiest to just replace it (or claim under warranty if one still applies to your console). 

If the second option works then it confirms that you have a faulty controller. If it fails then you have a faulty console. 

If you then try to re-sync the borrowed controller to your friend’s console then you’re probably the cause of the fault as it would mean that you’re doing something wrong.