If you do not drive many miles how often should oil be changed?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

At least as often as you would do if it covers more miles, many handbooks will say change at x thousands of miles or 12 months if that comes sooner. Look it up. 

As it happens we have one that covers a low mileage and according to the book it needs changing every year - I change it every 6 months regardless.  Fresh oil and filter is always a good investment. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

I would change it every 5000 but if it's something you dont put 5000 miles on in a year I would just change it every year

• 1 month ago

Regular oil every 3 months by the book. I've run regular oil for longer but wouldn't go more then 5 months. If you don't put a lot of miles on your vehicle you should be using synthetic oil. There is no time limit on synthetic oil. 

• 99%Anonymous
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

every 3 months or 3000 is pre war oils have changed

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your owner's manual will tell you when to change.  Six months to a year is often the recommended time interval if mileage has not exceeded recommended mileage interval.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Go by the miles, not the calendar. Your owner's manual tells how far to go between oil changes.

• 1 month ago

If you use full synthetic, every 5000 miles or once a year.  

• Country Boy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Our Avalon uses full synthetic and the book says to change the oil and filter  every 12,000 miles OR once per year which ever coms first.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Look in your owner's manual.  My Miata for low mileage uses can go up to a year between changes on synthetic.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Annually in the UK. US drivers are conned into unnecessarily short durations.

• Country Boy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

They are only "conned" if they don't read their manuals in the glove compartment or read, listen or watch too many advertisements.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

According to most manufacturers every 6 months or 7500 miles - the information will be in your owners manual and is specific to your automobile.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.