Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Have high schools selectively enforced rules?

Back when I was in school a decade ago they had a firm no public displays of affection policy, yet acting out the Balcony Scene from Romeo and Juliet was encouraged for a class project?

Do high schools selectively enforce rules?

You can't compare a scene from a play, in which no emotions are involved (it's acting), and PDAs in view of the general public. Troll smarter.

yes

schools are run by emotional people with no sense of continuity in rule following

while they think they enforce rules to a letter the individuals let their personal views interfere

often things deemed classics and works of value are really terrible; like much of Shakespeare, written for a time stage shows were of the few available entertainment

school for many is a burden to be muddled through to escape to freedom -- to others it is the only place they ever will preconceive them selves as important  -- the 10% who move to college are many of those who the real world is too much to deal with and why you see some many people still in college at and after 30 years of age    

PDA display..... not really a big deal unless you have a ax to grind 

do not look for problems save you PDA for after school 

• Robert

Actually most of government is selective in enforcement so no surprise that a public school bends to trends and political pressure.  But in this case it is not a good example.  There is a big difference on a pda and a scene from a play.  On Broadway there is no smoking allowed in any theater, but an actor on stage may smoke if the play calls for it.  So your example may be apples and oranges. 

• Ann

Most of the time, they do. Teachers have to see it and then do something. As a teacher, I understand that most of the time, nothing happens--so why bother? Still, I'd break up some of the stuff my son has seen in the hallway, regardless of what else might happen. I don't need to see that stuff.