Best PC Antivirus?

I've been using free AVG for years, and I used to love it, but over the years it has turned into a resource hog.

Can anyone recommend what they consider the best PC Antivirus (I prefer free, but would be willing to pay a reasonable amount).

Obviously the most important thing is going to be its ability to protect my computer, but just as important would be its ability to run virtually undetected in the background without throwing up unnecessary messages, locking the machine up, rebooting, etc.

Thanks in advance!

The best PC antivirus is.......... quit visiting bad sites and expecting your computer to get fixed for free. Well isn't that surprising.

• River Euphrates

Accurate, but not helpful.  Obviously the user is the first layer of antivirus, but I'm still going to be running some kind of antivirus for prevention.

My own computer rarely (if ever) gets viruses - but I also have to worry about my wife's computer, and the desktop that the whole family uses.

Of course its AVG its good others are resource hog

Trend Micro Antivirus is the best PC antivirus.

The best PC Antivirus is Bitdefender Antivirus plus and Norton Antivirus plus

Windows Defender hands down.

• David E

Over the years MS has improved it to the point it is as good as any of the others and unlike the others, does not need to weaken the  Operating systems built in protections to be installed.

• Enigma

There are a number of free,and very good anti-virus,here is a list: Avast,Avira,Bitdefender,Kaspersky,PandaDome,360 Total Security (this one uses multi-engine protection like Bitdefender and Avira but these have to be enabled)  http://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-to...

I use ESET NOD32 at home and it works great. It is pretty lightweight and not obtrusive.

If you have Windows 10 just uninstall Avg and Windows Defender will automatically be enabled. WD is among the best AV programs out there and it's free with Windows 10.

Just understand that No AV will prevent 100% so you the user must be the first level Antivirus. Be aware of what you are opening. 

You can also add Malwarebytes Premium (Paid version of Malwarebytes) to Windows Defender and have more protection. They both can run at the same time and not cause conflicts.