What does “Standard Message and Data Rates May Apply” mean?

I was signing a petition for something and it said text to the number listed. I did and they sent back the response but at the end it said “message and data rates may apply.” I freaked out texted back STOP to take myself off the chain but what did that mean exactly? Will I get charged? 

Some people have phone plans were they are charged for each text they send.  Some of those people have gone out and signed a petition hundreds of times or put themselves on a chain and gotten dozens of responses.  Because they pay for each of their texts, they then got a bill for hundreds of dollars and tried to site the web sites.  So the web sites put on a warning that if you have a plan where you have to pay to for texts then you have to be the one to pay for them.

If you have unlimited texts (which 90% of people do) then you can sign up without an issues.  It is only an issue if you pay for each text or have a limited numbers of texts each month.

• Marduk

It means you may get charged for texting depending on your data plan!  They have no idea what plan you have, so they are obligated to warn you that your plan may charge you.

Quite possible. I recall a while back some Carribean island that was charging $$$ per text that went through them.