Hannah asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is my dog ok?

I go for a long jog every morning at 7 with my dog, so everything was normal my dog has a extendable lead and I let it extend to give him more running space. He went into high grass and when he can out he had a dead bird in his mouth, now the time he was able to get the bird I’m 100% convinced it was already dead, after getting it out of my dogs mouth I went home got cleaned up etc but our vets don’t open until 9 o’clock so I’m looking everywhere to see what I can do. My dog hasn’t been sick or anything he’s been himself but I’d like to be sure.

There are no Vets on this site.  I doubt that you will have any problems with this.  I'm a country gal & see things a bit different than city folks.  Don't let this spook you.

My dogs won't and don't touch dead animals.  My sister's dog somehow found a rat, carried it around.  The dog got very sick, and it was Leptospirosis caused by the rat's urine.  She realized there could be a problem and rushed her dog to the Vet, but it could have killed him.  I would presume birds/other animals also carry other diseases.

My dogs get the Leptospirosis vaccine, but there's always the possibility.

I would call my Vet.

• Jojo

If I rushed my dog to the vet every time  picked up something like a bits of dead animal or even worse, I`d have no money left at all. 

Unless you suspect the bird was poisoned and your dog had eaten some of the bird there is nothing to be so worried about.

Most dogs have strong stomachs that can digest the most rancid of meat with no side effects. Dogs often bury meaty bones and then dig them up about 2 weeks later and eat them. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.
    • Hannah1 month agoReport

Thanks my biggest concern is that maybe a rat or something killed it then passed on something but now a few hours after he found it he’s still being himself jumping and being his usual self.

Occasionally dogs - who stumble on and EAT long dead meat - (like parts of butchered dead deer in the woods) can suffer botulism poisoning, but your dog does not seem to have done more than picked up the bird.  There is nothing to be done other than ask your vet about this.

• Hannah1 month agoReport

So realistically he should be fine I’m in the U.K. where we don’t have rabies or anything like that

• patty

u could ring a vet and get some advice.  Jogging with your dog may make him suseptible for athrtits and other problems down the track.

• Hannah1 month agoReport

Yea he’s still his usual self now but I’ll probably give the vet a call just to be on the safe side