Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Is it true that I must use a listing agent as my agent?

The realtor is selling the home and telling me I must use her as my realtor as well or she won't allow me to see the home.  She is saying she wants a payout from the buyer and seller.  Is it really not possible for me to see homes with my own realtor?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You don't have to use the listing agent, and I highly recommend you DON'T. Get your OWN agent--a BUYER's agent. It's also not recommended you try to deal with the listing agent yourself or directly with the sellers. The listing agent works with the seller and will try to get their best offer from you. Your buyer's agent will work for YOU. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes. Lots of sellers won't deal with you, if you are working with a realtor.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, she can not require you to use her as your agent.

< She is saying she wants a payout from the buyer and seller. >

Come up with a better story for your trolling 100 assignment.

• 1 month ago

No law requires it.  What she wants does not matter, and it may very well be illegal of her to even suggest it, but it is at best unethical.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There you go picking on the Realtors again!

• R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's true in Trollville

• 1 month ago

She is greedy and she is lying.  She wants a piece of the action and will stop at nothing to get it.  You could report her to the state realty board for unethical conduct.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That's pretty slimy of her, and dumb to let it out in the open. If you've got an agent already, stick with him.

• 1 month ago

That is an extremely unethical practice. Yes, she can represent both buyer and seller (although not recommended) but she can not force you to use her as an agent. You don't actually have to have an agent (but it is a good idea if you don't know what you are doing and generally costs you nothing). You could say yes, you can be my agent but your fee is going to be 0.0001%

I'd get her statement in writing (text/email or something) and report her to the licensing agency.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.