Was my job application to Target was rejected because I don't have any previous job experience? Does that count as discrimination?

So, I applied for a job at my local Target store back in January of this year (2020), and I received an email a few weeks later saying that I was not selected for an interview. I did say on my application that I don't have any job experience. Is that a possibility as to why I was not selected? And if that is the reason, does that count as discrimination, or is it just part of the process of finding a job?

No, that's not discrimination. Most jobs will require you to have a least some experience, especially if they're paying above minimum wage. Also, the job market is so competitive right now that it's very likely they just selected more qualified candidates to interview. I'm very experienced in my field and when I was just recently job hunting, I had applied to literally hundreds of jobs (Indeed is great for that btw) and I got many emails like that. I know it's easy to feel down on yourself when that happens but just remind yourself that everyone is scrambling for jobs right now. Many of the interviewers I just went through told me that they've had hundreds of applications come in and sometimes they don't have the time to look at each person's individual qualifications. Just keep on applying and I'm sure you'll get at least one or two interested people. Many people are put off from working in retail and grocery store settings right now (with good reason) and help is needed elsewhere, so just keep doing it man. Good luck!

You have a lawsuit!!!!

Some jobs require experience or managers prefer applicants who have some already. It's also a slow time for retail. When you get your first job, you just need to keep hunting! Look at places that hire a lot of younger people: grocery stores, fast food restaurants, etc. Someone will give you a chance! 

There's no way to tell what the reason was. It could have been the lack of experience, it might have been a bad application, it might have been that they didn't have a position open for you. It is in no way discrimination, however. 

This is what job hunting is. You have to go to a lot of different places, fill out a lot of applications. Even if you KNOW that you weren't selected due to lack of experience, it's STILL not discrimination. Discrimination has nothing to do with being unqualified because of the lack of experience. 

• April

It depends. Did you just apply for a cashier job or a management position? If you applied for management they usually look for leadership skills. I have about 6 years of cashier experience but can't get hired for a management job because I have no experience supervising employees.

On the other hand, if you're looking to just get a job as a cashier/stocker they could have had a lot of applicants and passed over your application. Only a couple are selected for an interview. When jobs become advertised again, talk to the hiring manager and re-apply if you're really interested. Include a resume and letter of interest to make it professional. When you're working retail, it's always good to have open availability including nights and weekends. Day shifts are usually reserved for long term staff.

**Also** Many job applications will ask for your desired pay as a way to weed out who will work the cheapest and eliminate from there. Always write "negotiable."

And regardless what people say, yes, you do need to put people down as referrals if you want to get a job at a specific place. "Who you know" is a big factor. If 20 people apply and only one job is posted, they'll use filters to eliminate applicants they're not interested in. There simply isn't enough time to look through every application. Employers usually skim through paperwork and grab a few names that sound familiar.

• Logan2 months agoReport

I applied as a stocker.

You need to learn the difference between "discrimination" and "illegal discrimination".

Ultimately, you will be turned down for many more jobs than you are offered

Hahahahaha.  I guess you could claim that is a form of discrimination BUT it's not a protected form of discrimination.  Same as for being lazy, firing lazy workers is not discrimination.

• Judy

W have no idea why your application was rejected. But if for no experience, no it's not discrimination.

It could be why, and employers are allowed to discriminate if lack of experience is the reason. Discrimination is allowed (and part of the process), unless it is for one of certain prohibited reasons, such as race, religion, etc. Discrimination based on lack of experience is allowed -- and often required.

"Not Having Been Employed Before" Is not a protected class of person, so, no, it is not discrimination in a legal sense.