Can someone give me step by step instruction on how to prepare and level a lot for a house foundation?

I'm interested in buying a lot that's 5260sqft. It has access to all utilities. I'm most likely going to hire someone to build the foundation for me. However, I want to cut costs and prepare and level the lot myself before they build the foundation. Can someone give me step by step on how I can do this myself or how I can learn to do it myself.

1st and main step.. GO to school and get a engineering degree and learn how to compact and check compacted soil to meet state, and local building codes. 

'2nd. GO to school and get a GENERAL CONTRACTOR license

• hart

line spirit level, bricklayer string, level posts, marker and old fashion geometry

This is not a job you should be doing by yourself unless you have an engineering degree and have experience with graders, backhoes and surveying. You really REALLY need a professional for this one. Don't try to save money here--this is not the step where you try to save costs. This step will be the literal FOUNDATION of your entire home--and that's not something you should ever try to do on your own. You need to know how to grade the lot, which way the house will be built, what slope to make, where the lines are coming in to the property.  Especially if the utility lines are buried. You hit one of those, or dig where you should not dig, and rupture one, you are going to be in HUGE trouble.  Don't try this one on your own. 

If you think there is such an thing as step by step instructions, you HIRE someone that can follow instructions.

If you can find someone WILLING to place the foundation without doing the prep themselves, RUN away.

• elhigh

Nope.  You want the job done right, you want to have a house you can live in for decades and not worry about whether it's going to settle unevenly or fall down around your ears, you do NOT try to save a few bucks on something as crucial as the foundation.  Not the excavation, not the site prep, none of it.

The foundation literally underpins your house, you pony up the money to have a seasoned, skilled professional do the work.  You won't regret it...but if you try to do it yourself, as inexperienced as you are, you might regret that.

• Steve

If you're gonna hire someone to build the foundation, then let them do the whole job by preparing the lot as well.  That way, they won't have to go back and repair any mistakes you likely make and charge you anyway.  You may be better off by learning other things, like running electrical wire or hanging your own drywall, etc.

There are two ways to level a place for a foundation. One is to dig out the soil until you have a level surface. That can leave you will a steep bank on the high side of the area that can require a retaining wall. Just another added cost but you get firm undisturbed soil for the foundation. Good for a slab foundation but not important if you are going for a basement or pier and beam construction. You are left with all of the soil you dug out and it has to be dealt with.

.

The other is to dig down less but take the excess soil and use it to raise the lower portion of the ground. This is less work except you will need to be sure and really compact the soil that is moved so you have a firm level area for a slab foundation. Again if you are going to have a basement or pier and beam construction this is not a problem and is less work that the first method I described. 

.

Finally you need to find out what regulations might be involved in you doing the work. Some locations require someone who is licensed to prepare a foundation base. 

frequently requires operating heavy equipment ... bulldozer or, at minimum, front end loader.  lot has to be graded so that water will run away from the house ... and allowing for ground build up over decades, house area needs to be at least six to eight inches higher than the run off routes.  This may be specified in building code [I don't know], and definitely will be checked by the inspector.  Probably, this is not a DIY job ...

Rent a mini Bobcat and watch videos on Youtube.