Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Are any animals slaughtered humanely?

Some people tell me that some animals are humanely slaughtered and not tortured? I've been thinking of becoming vegan but not sure I could cope with it as animal products have been a part of my diet all my life, and I don't cope well with any kind of change, so I was wondering (and I don't want essays on whether I'm hypocritical or not for eating meat - though having said that I really hope I'm not hypocritical lol), does anyone know if animals being slaughtered in a humane way is true? I read that some butchers even do it humanely? I don't feel like I support animal cruelty even though I've always eaten animal products, so I guess this is the reason why I hope some animals are slaughtered humanely and not tortured? (I know it's not properly justifiable but meh, I don't wanna be a bad person) :/

I know this probably wont sound like an excuse to any of you, but i don’t really think it’s right for animals to be killed, i just sort if turn a blind eye i guess because i don’t cope well with change, eating meat has been a habit all my life and i can’t imagine changing it :/

Favorite Answer

If you live in GB, Ireland or Europe, all animals MUST be slaughtered humanely and 'torture' is ILLEGAL under EU law. GB is no longer part of the EU but has retained all the animal welfare legislation which is even stricter than the EU law. You are a human, and so an omnivore by nature. If you still don't like the thought of slaughterhouses, rather than going vegan or vegetarian, why not stop eating farmed meat but continue to eat game [rabbit, venison, woodpigeon etc] and fish. As for game meat rabbit and woodpigeon should be available all year, other game only in season [generally late summer-autumn] but can of course be frozen for consumption at other times. 

Farm animals are supposed to be slaughtered humanely. But the PETA videos are staged, because PETA has an anti-meat agenda. They use animal rights as a front, in order to shock and place false guilt on the gullible. Veganism is a depopulation suicide death cult.

Kosher or halal. 

all animals are slaughtered humanely...do you think someone beats the crap out of them first?? Or that they are starved and left to die of thirst and then butchereed??

• patty

instead of becoming a full vegetarian maybe cut right back on meat/animal products

As a meat eater, you are demanding an animal to either work for you, or give up its life for you. Neither of those are humane. If you are going to eat meat, you are going to have to reconcile with the fact that you are killing animals, and there is no humane way to do that. I sm not passing judgement on anyone, either vegan or non vegan, I am just stating a fact. 

Generally, and their are exceptions to everything, animals slaughtered for food are not tortured and are slaughtered humanely.

• Nobody that is killing animals for food does so with an eye on torturing the animal. The goal is to kill the animal as quickly as possible. In the case of beef, torturing it would have an adverse effect on the meat. Having said that, if you eat meat you're eating an animal that was killed. There's no legal standard for humanely killing an animal. Some people find that objectionable; others don't. Halal and Kosher food have specific protocols on how the animals are killed (if you care). I've killed animals for food; I did so in order to gain a level of respect for the process and to make sure that I don't waste anything (it sickens me how much meat gets thrown away and never used).

i heard thats possible

• Daisy

In the USA animals are killed in the most humane way possible. There are Federal laws putting forth the methods of slaughter. There are US Department of Agriculture inspectors in every slaughterhouse/packing plant to be sure those laws are followed.

Of course It's ok to kill animals for food. Lions kill animals for food. Hawks kill for food. Why is it wrong for humans to kill other animals for food?

If you don't want to eat meat, don't. But most of us accept the fact that for us to live,something else must die.

Thousands of small field animals are killed by farm equipment in the production of veggies and grains that veg*ns depend on. There are no laws to protect them as they are maimed, killed or left to die in the fields.

Yes. The Hebrew National hotdog ones are.