Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 5 months ago

If I tell my employer that I will *probably*  quit in two weeks without giving them advanced notice, and they fire me, is that “for cause”?

That would be a termination without cause (unless they selectively enforced a policy you technically broke). You did not resign, you told them that you probably would in two weeks.

• Scott

Some employers don't like to keep "short timers" around. Should have kept your mouth shut.

• Judy

you won't get unemployment, if that's your question

In the case you describe, you are not fired. Your RESIGNATION is accepted effective immediately.

• Eva

No, that is a voluntary quit. You've learned a valuable lesson. Give proper notice or keep your mouth shut. When you tell them "probably", you've told them that you've already checked out and could care less about your job.

If you have been terminated for cause your employer should tell you that.  In many states it is required for the employer to let you know if you are terminated for cause.  If your employer did not cite for cause then you should assume it was termination at-will.