Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 5 months ago

If I tell my employer that I will *probably*  quit in two weeks without giving them advanced notice, and they fire me, is that “for cause”?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

That would be a termination without cause (unless they selectively enforced a policy you technically broke). You did not resign, you told them that you probably would in two weeks.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Some employers don't like to keep "short timers" around. Should have kept your mouth shut.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

you won't get unemployment, if that's your question

• 5 months ago

In the case you describe, you are not fired. Your RESIGNATION is accepted effective immediately.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Eva
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

No, that is a voluntary quit. You've learned a valuable lesson. Give proper notice or keep your mouth shut. When you tell them "probably", you've told them that you've already checked out and could care less about your job.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

If you have been terminated for cause your employer should tell you that.  In many states it is required for the employer to let you know if you are terminated for cause.  If your employer did not cite for cause then you should assume it was termination at-will. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.