Can you be against animal cruelty and still eat meat?

So I've eaten meat all my life, I've been thinking about going vegan lately but I don't think I could be able to stick to it as it's such a big change, and most of my current dietary foods come from animal products, but I always thought before I was against animal cruelty, I don't feel like I want to support it because I would feel like a really crappy person, I don't like seeing animals being abandoned, or forced to work or perform for people, and I could never wear makeup that has animal products or used animal testing, and I could never ever wear real animal furs or skins, and I never really thought about it deeply before because I've always been this way, and I could never watch a video of an animal in a slaughterhouse.

What about the killing of newborn animals, like calves and chicks?

OK, first of all, I never said about any "apparent beliefs", or watched any PETA videos, so please don't jump to any conclusions like that. I know this includes animals that are not raised for food only. And what exactly is a "free-roaming animal" and how does it differentiate between a non free-roaming animal and how they are killed? I mean I know some animals are raised humanely and then killed humanely and painlessly, if that's what people mean by this? I guess that's better than torturing-

-but it still feels like a crappy thing to say or do, but at the same time I can't see myself quitting eating meat because it's been with me all my life, and I really don't cope well with any kind of change, so I probably wouldn't be able to hold this down. Whereas if I grew up with the habit of being against eating meat then I could never see myself changing that either. Just the way I am I guess? I know it's probably not justifiable but :/

Yeah I guess I just felt bad because of people saying things like "all animals deserve to live and be treated fairly" the same as all humans do, which I completely agree with, and some slaughterhouse videos are just abhorrent, but for some reason I don't think I could stop eating meat as it's been a habit all my life? I know that sounds childish but I guess it's just the way I am :/

You can eat meat, and absolutely be against animal cruelty. In fact without those of us whom eats meat, not one of the laws against animal cruelty could, or would have ever been passed. A person does NOT have to watch videos from any group to be against treating animals badly. Abusing animals is NOT justifiable to MOST people.

However the abuse of livestock, is NOT as rampant as some tries to make it out to be. It's only the bad actors who are a very small minority, that who does such things then when they're caught, they're then held out as an example, and as representative of all of the industry. It's the let's take the worst even if they're a very small minority, and used as an example, to promote something as fact without any further evidence being considered as being needed. I grew up in a rural area, and around livestock as a result. Not once did I see the level of abuse that's been alleged as being rampant and rife in the industry. I grew up in a rural area, around livestock, more than a fair number of years ago.

Now where the worst abuse of animals takes place, is RARELY ever looked at. That's in urban and suburban areas. Those that are commonly considered as being "pets", are among the most abused, and this happens on a daily basis. Yet very little is very little is really is or has been said about that.

• Anton

Cruelty is pleasure in inflicting suffering or inaction towards another's suffering when a clear remedy is readily available. -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruelty

If there is no clear remedy is readily available, and you don't like it but you still have to, it is not cruelty.

When I was working, I was a free-roaming animal -- my area was about 150 square miles, where I installed and repaired telecommunications.  Most of my clients were "Cube-Rats" -- call center employees that lived in 36 square feet for 8 hours a day.  Their life was not nice, but was nor cruel as there was no good remedy.

• Daisy

Sure. I'm certainly against animal cruelty is probably 99.9% of the rest of the USA. But we mostly eat meat.

Your apparent belief is that raising animals for food is inherently cruel is simply wrong.

If you don't want to believe that, find a farmer who will let you visit and see how animals are treated....or buy meat, eggs, dairy from grass fed or free roaming animals.

Stop watching PETA videos and look for videos put out by real ranchers and farmers.

• polly

I couldn't have said it better myself.

• On the basis that humans are animals, veganism is animal cruelty. Few vegans live beyond 50 and aplastic anaemia is an unpleasant lingering death. At least the animals we eat are killed quickly.

Of course you can be against animal cruelty. Free range chickens from small farms, for example, have a very nice life scratching around in the grass. Buy eggs and chickens from small farms, perhaps local ones. Buy humanely raised meat. A quick, painless death can be kinder to an animal that old age, disease and suffering is. A few years ago, the PETA group outside New York "freed" some ducks and geese that were being raised for food. The birds ended up mostly starving to death- not a very kind way to end their lives.