Charging a new laptop battery fully. Reality or myth?

Legend has it that you must charge a brand new laptop battery "no less than 24 hours" before use. This is the answer that pops up at the top of Google when querying the question. Other sources say that although this used to be good advice, modern computer and smartphone batteries no longer need this procedure. I'm fairly certain it's a myth but I seek validation.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Shadow
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

In the past, the batteries had a 'memory' of its charge. To get the full potential of the battery, it was recommended to charge the device for a minimum of 16 continuous hours before first use.

Nowadays, battery technology has advanced exponentially. There is still a 'memory' of sorts but generally it's almost not there. Depending on the type of battery will depending on how it's supposed to be used. Lead Acid batteries are designed to be continuously charged but if the battery is reduced to no charge at all, the life span or capacity or ability to power something will be significantly reduced.

Laptops have a Lithium based battery. Should be Lithium Ion. They are designed to be charged continuously and also on and off but when drained to nothing, the impact on it's life is negligible.

Cellphones also have a Lithium based battery. Those should be Lithium Polymer. They are designed to be charged on and off and not continuously. Also, it is said that to get the best life out of the battery, the charge should not drop below 10-15% and not exceed 98%. When above 98%, the battery is trickle charged which, when at 100%, the battery drops to 99% and charges to 100%. The process repeats itself until removed from charge.

Batteries have a certain number of charge cycles. Each time it's connected, a cycle is used. Once all the cycles are used up, the battery life should have or will diminish significantly.

Another thing to consider is the type of charger. Original chargers on modern tech items communicate with the device and when the device is nearly fully charged, it 'instructs' the charger to reduce power output. Laptop chargers are a bit different. The more intensive the task, the more power is provided. If you look at the charger rating, it'll show what the voltage, amperage and wattage is. That is the maximum it can output but it is not a consistent output if it is not required. Generic chargers do not normally communicate with the devices and will normally output maximum power and does not get 'instructed' when to stop. This normally causes cellphone batteries to swell when left on charge for too long.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It will not affect the battery itself in any way.

The difference is, that the battery capacity indication may not be accurate until the battery has been fully charged and fully discharged.

Also, if the cells in the battery are not exactly equal states of charge, it can take a good few hours on charge after they read full, for them to equalise.

Until that happens, the capacity and computer run time per charge will not be at their optimum.

But, it not really matter when that happens.

The main target long-term for maximum life is to try an take the machine off charge as soon as the battery is full, when running on external power.

Full charge an the heat of the machine running cause rapid loss of capacity.

Try and average around 50% charge for best life.

I have a couple of batteries for my machines that date from 2009 and still give good run time (around 2/3 life compared to a brand new one), by following that principle.

If you want it fully charged for the next day, it's fine to leave on charge for hours occasionally, while it is not running, as it then stays cool.

Just never use it or charge it on soft surfaces that can trap heat, such a beds or sofas etc.

• 1 month ago

24 hour full charging of your electronics with batteries is a good idea. Most will shut off or just trickle charge for most of that time. 

Read what your manufacturer says about what they recommend. 

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

with modern lithium batteries is doesnt matter .. i'd say the very best advice i can give is try to always keep it above 50% for longest life ..

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Wrong - keep it averaging 50% for maximum life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

What an interesting story to post from a newly created YA account. 

I would contact the maker of the laptop and go over your story with them and see what they say.  You could also contact the maker of the new laptop battery and see what they suggest.

If you are looking for a comprehensive answer you could make a list of laptop makers and a list of battery makers and go over your story with each one and record their answers.  Please let us know your findings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.