Closest tornado from Los Angeles?

I don't wanna go all the way to Tennessee but I do wanna see one and I know we're in the season. What's the closest I can drive to potentially see one? Also, what's a safe distance to view it? 

• John

"Twister" was actually a pretty good movie, if not the best ever. It's about storm chasers. I'd suggest you rent it and forget about an up close and personal experience. I saw one on the horizon once and that was enough for me.

Actually, California gets 11 tornadoes a year.  Nevada gets two and Arizona gets 5.

Your driveway, go out to the street and go back to house.  Then go and turn on TV or Internet and watch storm chasers.  That is the safest.  No sense in trying to get yourself killed.

I lived in North Texas for years.  I Just south of Oklahoma is where the major thunderstorms that spawn many tornados that move northeast.  I watched the skies, turned on weather reports, listened for a siren.  The southwest corner of a basement is safest place to be when sky turns black and then green.  If no basement, I would get in the bathtub with a mattress over me.

The 300 mph wind is mostly survivable, as people have been found long ways away from where they were caught up.  Some have been found in trees.

What kills you is any objects that are blown into you.  Cars, trucks, roofing, 2x4s, even a straw will kill you if you are out in the open.

There is no reason to chase a tornado unless you are a crazy professional who does it for a living.

if you can see it you are not at a safe distance.