Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Has feminism always been anti-male?

• Elana

Having been a feminist until about 5 years ago, I'd actually have to say ... YES.

But that has been useful. There have been lots of ways in which women have been dismissed, degraded, ignored etc that feminism has helped fix.  That doesn't mean they have been doing it for the "right" reasons, but similar to cleaning by dumping a lot of water on something, if it's really dirty, that will probably help.

But eventually, the dirt in the water ends up making things dirtier, not cleaner.

It's like the old semi-joke:  "Shoot 'em all, let God sort 'em out."  You might, at first, be doing the right thing most of the time, but over time, you miss the nuance and eventually you start doing the wrong things most of the time.

I believe that feminism is now actually doing more harm than good in the West.

It now leaves women with the impression/dependency that "a woman can do everything a man can, or even better ... if we can just get men out of the way."

Feminists now try to start girls out with chips on their shoulders, lovingly encouraging them to think that society is against them, that the only way they can get ahead is to put men as a gender en mass down, etc.  The ones who than succeed must have succeeded by putting men down.  The ones who don't couldn't possibly have failed for other reason - they must have failed because men thwarted them.

I recognize the feminist mentality.  I *LIVED* it.

Fortunately, people aren't stupid.  Most girls in Western school systems know that the story must be more complicated than that simply because they are testing better and progressing faster in school systems than boys.  How can the system be stacked against them?

How can it be stacked against them when they start out earning more than boys after they graduate?

Yup, they are going to want to make choices that will seriously curtail salary growth, but most girls and women are actually savvy enough to understand that they are CHOICES they made.

More complicated than that?

OF COURSE, but most women (and men) understand that.

The number of girls and women who think the fact that the numbers (e.g. salary) comparison between men and women are different simply based on discrimination is small, getting smaller.

People are NOT stupid.

In a search for equality, associating yourself with a group that has "fem" IN THE NAME is only serving to hamper your goal.  Associating with a group that has spent more time/money/effort trying to "ban bossy" than making the US Selective Service non gendered seems, frankly stupid.

And I say this with someone who used to proudly say I was a feminist.  I don't consider the time wasted, but a lot of it was surely misguided.

• Nobori1 month agoReport

@$$hole, feminism is mental illness, you idiot

No, feminism has never been anti-male. Pro-female isn't anti-male.

• It's anti male when the largest feminist organization in the US fights to TAKE AWAY the rights of FATHERS

• Phil

Pretty much.

It is mainly anti Patriarchal.

• yes it always has been

Not really. feminism by DEFINITION is the idea of women having EQUAL right as a men.

Though there are some cases where some feminist (not all) take it to the extreme where they want female to have more rights than male....

Definitely! The feminism is anti-male and it is a protest against the male dominance in our society. I have seen a close friend of mine who did research on feminism in modern drama and he had also published a book. I helped him in his research thesis writing by copying from the books of feminism in my childhood. 

Yes they've always been entitled brats.

It's not. It's about equality. Always has been and always will be 

Back in 1920's when women were continuously denied rights, no, it wasn't anti-male. Back then, feminism was about bringing justice and equality to women giving them the rights to do things any man can do. Things like voting, working, going to war, and the ability to be anything other than a baby carrier / stay at home mom.

And we got those rights. Now a-days, us women can do pretty much anything a man can do; but a lot of feminists want more. Most feminists now-a-days don't want equality, instead they seem to fight for women superiority, which imo completely destroys what years of feminism and strong women before us has done to bring us to this point.

Basically, to answer your question; was it anti-male back in the early to mid 1900's? No. 

But sadly, it is now.

For most of history feminism has been about joining in on the rights men enjoy.

• .Jerry.

That has not been the case for my entire life now.  Yet most feminists act as if I ...a male ... somehow have rights or privilege that they do not have just because they are women.

If I am missing something, I would really like to know what it is.