Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Is it weird that my parents got married 3 months before my birth?

So yeah my parents had me at ages 20 and 21. It’s quite young for my generation (Zoomer). I just found out that they got married 3 months before my birth and my mom was visibly pregnant at that point already.

• GB

Some people might consider it weird that your parents might have felt they had to get married because your mom was pregnant, though a generation or two ago, it would have been considered the 'proper thing' to do, if  the younger one had reached the minimum age to get married. These people might give reasons for waiting until the  baby was born,  from the bride looking better in the photos, to 'if the baby dies, then you won't have to marry.'

Shotgun weddings are nothing unusual at all.

Nah, it happens all the time

• Edna

Well, so what?  You were born when your mom was already 6 months pregnant. At least, your parents got married BEFORE you were born. 

You weren't the first baby who was born somewhat "early", and you certainly won't be the last.

No.  I have a BIL and SIL that got married when their first kid was about 6 months old.  And she wore white, LOL.

many parents these days never marry

• Slug

In this day and age it is not uncommon at all, there are many people who are not married and still have children

• MissA

I'd say getting married because the third member of the family is about to make their appearance is one of the most classical reasons to get married. And I hate to inform you but even back in the 90's people did have sex outside of marriage.

• Lili

No, it's not uncommon.

A sociologist once did a study comparing birth and marriage certificates in the US, issued between 1900 and 1960, and found that about a third of brides had been pregnant at the altar.  In 1960, reliable birth control started to become available, but people still often decide to get married when they are expecting a baby.