Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Why do I feel like a coward? ?

This guy owes me money. Whenever I ask him he gives me excuses. The other day I asked his friends to have dinner at restaurant they agreed and this guy too came along. I paid my bill separate I wasn't paying them they thought I would do since I invited them. Yesterday I asked to pay back his loan amount he got mad at me saying I am a stingy guy etc they didn't have enough money to pay in the restaurant I invited them for dinner but I didn't pay that was wrong he wanted to kick my a$$. I was kinda humiliated in didn't say anything. Does this make me a coward? But this didn't stop me from asking my money untill he hides in the bush whenever he sees me. Xx

Favorite Answer

Give him a set deadline with the resolve to file a claim in court if it’s not repaid. Forget the gaslighting toward you with the restaurant incident, as that’s all it is. If he gets more aggressive file for an order of protection and follow through. People don’t get to treat others like crap.

No it makes you a gullible chicken. Stop giving him money and complaining here. We can't help you.

• F

You don’t say how much he owes you. Less than $100, don’t waste your time and energy, write it off but bad mouth him at every opportunity, let everyone know he doesn’t pay his debts. It might shame him into paying.

If it’s 100s or 1000s , take him to court . Small claims court doesn’t  involve lawyers and doesn't cost much.

If you have legal insurance as part of house insurance get into a lawyer immediately.

• Dachi1 month agoReport

No problem 

I take it you're young. Heres some advice my father gave me, now Im giving it to you (because I don't have kids)  When lending to friends and family, ALWAYS consider it a gift (in your head). If they purposely don't pay me back, I abandon them permanently. I suggest you take my advice. The coward thing... people that avoid conflict are not cowards. This might be the point in your life where you might wanna cull your friendships. Get rid of all your loser friends. I did this 20 years ago and it was the right move. I have fewer friends, but the ones I have are amazing and trustworthy. Good Luck my friend! 

You don't just feel like one. You are a full fledged coward,

and l be you suspected that all along.

If you invite people to a restaurant, you are expected to pay their bill.  Unless this guy owes you a lot of money, I would say you're even and should let it go now.  

• j153e

Perhaps you feel like a coward because first you're powerless to effect justice, and that translates in your world as being wimpy.  As wind_updoll answered, you do have some recourse in the small claims legal system, and some rights to protection.

Related:

Understanding Yourself by Mark Prophet.

• Liz

I don't think you're a coward...probably the other guy. The article on the website below might interest you since it provides practical suggestions for dealing with the subject of lending.

Source(s): wol.jw.org/g99 4/8 The Bible’s Viewpoint Lending and Borrowing Between Friends

First of all, you are not a coward. This is because of trust.

The second reason why you come back is because you did not let your friends understand the seriousness of the problem. It is recommended that you solemnly discuss this matter with your friends for a day. Don't use jokes or casual tones to say this.

• mokrie

You learned the hard way what is common knowledge. Loan money and lose a friend. NEVER loan or borrow money. And you were wrong to invite people out and NOT pay the bill. Don't expect them to go with you again.