Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Are breaks healthy in a relationship? ?

I currently took a break with my boyfriend. I just felt the relationship was too intense and none of us was getting what we needed in the relationship and I need time to focus on my wants and he said that he doesn't feel secure but he is willing to do if it makes us better. But I just have so many issues with our relationship. Plus he lets his parents overstep their boundaries and I explicitly told them I hate their control and that they are not invited to my house. He still lives with his parents because they don't want him to leave. Don't get me wrong. I love him. I just hate his parents hold on him. The kid has so much potential but there are ooh soo annoying. Should we seek counseling? Thoughts, ideas, advice, prayers?

• Kaylee

It’s not healthy. There’s no guaranteed solution to a break . A break just gives you room to do exactly, work on yourself BUT when you decide to get back together will you end up being in the same situation you were before the break? Relationships that work are people that figure out solutions to their problems as quickly as possible. I’m not saying you are the problem, but you need to speak up and tell your boyfriend that if he doesn’t latch off the nipple of his parents and give you two room to be an actual growing couple, it’s not going to work. You can’t just take a break and hope things go your way when you want to get back together. 

Counselling yes, breaks no. That's like saying "I have breathing issues so I'm going to take a break from breathing for a while."

• Dv8s

No, it isn't healthy because a relationship is a commitment.  Some people just don't belong together, no matter how good their intentions, they clash.

I think it is obvious by what you wrote that your relationship isn't meeting your expectations. If you cannot see any reason to believe things will get better in the future then you don't belong in it. Counseling might help, but if your BF refuses to acknowledge that his parents are a problem in regards to his life and your relationship, and he does something about it it won't make any difference.