At what age can kids decide on their own furniture?

My son is 11 and is adamant about getting rid of his bed. He says that “beds are ***” and that he wants to sell his and sleep on the couch every night from now on. He also says he will give the money to charity so I feel bad saying no. Should I let him give up bed sleeping for the rest of his life?

At 11 kids don't know what is good for them. His growing body needs a good firm bed.

I'd be down with getting rid of old toys games and books

And no more video game investments he can donate all that.

Donate old clothes

Lots of other things for him to donate to.

No. Never allow your child to take over your house. He can decide what he can do when he is 18 and moved out. 

Yep, go ahead. He will either be happy with his good deed of donating to charity and sleeping on the couch, or realise that it was a stupid idea and learn to think things through more before making actions. If the second case happens, maybe let him sleep on the couch for a week before getting him a new bed. Either way he'll either learn a lesson or be fine. 

Katie, I think you should have your son evaluated for medical and mental health issues. What he's saying and doing isn't normal. And given his age, one thing that concerns me is the possibility that he could be experiencing enuresis, or bed wetting, and his determination to "sell" his bed is actually an attempt to try to hide the disorder from you- or from his dad. Why would he want to hide it? Embarrassment, for one thing. Fear of punishment- possibly severe punishment- would be another. I understand both, because I'm a former enuretic myself- I suffered from the disorder for 5 years as a teenager- and I was just your son's age when it first appeared. It was hereditary in my case- I had it because my dad had it as a teenager and I inherited the gene or genes that cause it from him- but that may not be the case with your son. There is a lengthy list of medical disorders associated with enuresis in children and teens, and you would be very wise to have your son evaluated as soon as possible. Most of the disorders are treatable, as is the enuresis itself. One thing you must NOT do is punish your son, if he should turn out to have this disorder. Remember that he cannot control it. Punishing him will not solve the problem- it will make it WORSE.

So give your son's pediatrician or your family doctor a call, and make an appointment for him. And make sure you tell the doctor about your son's wanting to "sell" his bed.

• Edna

Tell your 11-year-old son to get his azz back in his bed and that's where he's going to have to sleep until he's at least 18 and is old enough to move out of your house and sleep wherever he wants to sleep.

Tell him that you are NOT going to allow him to sleep on the couch in your living room, because you don't want your living room to be in a constant mess from him sleeping there. 

Who's the adult in your house? Your son is better off sleeping in a bed. So the answer is, "No, you can't sleep on the couch from now on. You can sleep in your own bed in your own room." If he wants to sleep on the couch in his own apartment some day, that's up to him.

Nope you shouldn't

While its fine to sleep on a couch on a rare occasion, doing so for prolonged periods of time will actually cause life-long back problems! The spine actually bends when you sleep on a couch, because of the texture of the surface, thus causing back injuries to the point of being wheel-chair bound.

He is a child, you are the parent, therefore until he turns 18, its YOU who makes the decisions about his upbriging! Just because he wants something, it doesn't mean he should get his way.

To be frank, he probably wont' understand your reasons, so you could even have a medically trained doctor explain the dangers to couch sleeping.

• PR

No, you should not. If he needs a T.V. to help him sleep in his own room, then get one, but make him sleep in his room, in his own bed. It would be better NOT to have a T.V., however. Having lights out at night is conducive to REM sleep, and being in an active area of the house, is not. 

Learning appropriate behavior is part of developing into a mature and responsible adult. At age 11, he is nowhere mature, nor reliable at making important decisions.

If your son is having sleep difficulties, be sure he isn't consuming sugary, high carb, or high caffiene foods after about 6pm. 

Of course, if this is a real question, his saying he will use the money for charity is an effort at manipulation and you ought to see that. Feeling bad is playing into his hand, and not being a parent. Stop allowing him to "play you".

He won't be responsible in that way until a minimum of age 18. Look up: The teenage brain.

https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default...

By the way: If your son wants to help a charity, give him that opportunity. Take him to a soup kitchen, or give him other opportunities to help elsewhere, so he sees he cannot manipulate you, but he can certainly help if that is his goal. Take time with your son, go places with your son, talk with your son. Develop a relationship with him, so he doesn't feel the need to sleep elsewhere, and has time to express himself to you.

You are obviously a troll. Please try again.

• ?

He'll need that privacy soon enough.