atheists: why do atheists believe that Hell is unjust?

God will not be mocked, he will forgive sins but from what we are told he will not forgive sin indefinitely, there has to be a time of judgement, a time for God to decide who wants to live with him and who does not, that is why there is a Hell.

49 Answers

Relevance
  • Caesar
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First of all atheists are the people that honestly do not believe in the invisible entities some people call gods, that include all the creatures, son of those gods, mythical afterlife places and mythical judgments that many religions had made up...  we can discuss if Saruman the wise was unjust with Gandalf of if your deity is unjust as we can do with any myths related to deities...but a eternal place of torment is nothing about a supposedly loving and forgiven deity.... for sure... Gee Zeus

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You need to stop degrading God by saying that he is an evil God that likes to torment people. The Bible does not teach such nonsense. When the Bible speaks about torment it is in a figurative or symbolic sense.

• 2 months ago

If God was an ignorant human, it makes sense He would not like being mocked, but if we are talking about a much higher intelligence, being mocked says more about human ignorance which is easily forgiven by any higher intelligence.

If you really pay attention and read between the lines, the NT isn't trying to save humans from God, the NT is attempting to save us from ourselves, which makes sense because we are the ignorant ones here. A higher intelligence would never "judge", that is a human thing at the lower end of the intelligence scale. A higher intelligence would teach/inform/praise.

The hell described in the NT and by Christians isn't a separation, it is a place of torment, which is why the concept is unjust. Some christians claim the torment is only for a thousand years, but imagine that sentence for stealing a pack of gum, that is another reason it is unjust, where the intelligent and humane thing to do is death of a spirit that cannot be reformed.

Christianity is about humans being the scum of the earth, seeing no self worth in themselves without a gracious God to forgive the human nature God supposedly created and has to forgive, but not the intelligent way, he has to send His Son down for a brutal sacrifice to Himself to forgive the nasty creation He created (humans). Chrisitianity really doesn't make sense to the more intelligence, reasonable and rational person, which is why there are plenty of ex-christians who eventually figured this out.

• ...Show all comments
    • SBR32277
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

things that I now know. No shame required, it's part of the learning experience. What you call sin is nothing more than our human nature where only "irrationality" blinds us from the reality of a situation. Christians thrive on irrationality, which is where emotions override what the intellect

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Hell isn't unjust. Hell isn't real.

• Rolando C I
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Right Hell is the grave.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Git
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It isn’t hell that is “unjust”, it is god’s punishment that is unjust.

If you are a parent and your grown up child committed adultery in one moment of weakness, do you think your child deserved the ultimate penalty, the death penalty? 

You may think it is too severe a punishment for adultery. Well, eternal damnation is too severe a punishment for sin.

By the way, adultery is a sin. If men’s law do not prescribe death for adultery but god’s law consider adultery a sin and therefore eternal damnation in hell, who is more merciful, men or god?

• brother trucker
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

By eternal damnation I presume you mean eternal life away from God, a personal choice of every negative human, not some eternal torment that isnt taught in the Bible?  Eternal hell in the lake of fire is the punishment of satan, the false prophet and the beast, not humans.  

• 2 months ago

The very idea of a hell is immoral.  Eternal punishment for a finite crime.  That's not justice.  That is sick and sadistic at best.  Any deity wishing this on their creation simply because they don't believe, is not worth worshiping.  Why would you want to be forced to love a tyrant out of fear?

• ...Show all comments
    • brother trucker
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The hell you describe is not taught in the Bible at all.  The hell where negative people turn their backs on everything thats good and live with the results is.  

• 2 months ago

Being sinful must be a continuum, so there must be a line that divides those who are slightly on the good side from those who are slightly on the bad side.  Those who squeak by on the good side spend an eternity in heaven, while those who don't quite make it are tortured for eternity.  And you see nothing unjust about that system?

• ...Show all comments
    • Bulldog redux
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

@Brother:  Your computer is not a part of Bible teachings.  Therefore, I suggest that you get rid of it.  Goodbye, brother trucker.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I wouldn't worship God if He DIDN'T punish evil.

And I hate to admit it... but some of these people who frequent this website make me HAPPY a place called hell exists.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

God says that the righteous love his justice but that the wicked hate it. Cant imagine why! 

You see it all over in these answers like ugly on an ape. And most claim no belief in God. How can you hate someone that you claim doesnt even exist?

• Gelo
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Well, I was going to answer, but why bother when Emma has already expressed it way better than I could?

Read her answer again.  Brilliant.

Source(s): Perhaps a god who didn't want to be mocked should show himself. Some of us mock all invisible friends regardless of brand.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.