Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

I heard a song at the store it went like "Im dancing by myself oh oh im dancing by my self" any info?

It sounded like some kind of punk rock band with some kind of flamboyant conceited rude attitude.  

Do you know who this is, and my main question is...Are they really some kind of punk rock band with a rebelious rude conceited attitude in your opinion?

Now that i think about it, it did sound like Pop Music because i dont remember any guitar instruments. i think it might be Billy Idol like that guy suggested. I dont know who Billy Idol is. Was he conceited?

Yes A.J. that was the song. Thank you for your answer and thank you for adding the video. I had fun watching it.

• A.J.

Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself recorded originally in 1980 as part of an earlier band he was a member of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1NrQYXjLU

Youtube thumbnail

It's about dancing by yourself. Billy got the idea after watching Japanese kids at a Tokyo disco "dancing with themselves" in a nightclub. The kids would dance in a pogo style up and down, and there were mirrors in the club so they could watch themselves doing it. Idol concedes, however, that there is "some sort of masturbatory element" to the song as people suspect.

"The song really is about people being in a disenfranchised world where they're left bereft, dancing with their own reflections."

That's Billy Idol, previously written for Generation X before he went solo.  He was only sorta-punk.

• A conceited pop star?

Sounds like a Billy Idol song...about 40 years ago.