Which is more reliale in the long term, automatic or manual transmissions?

As part of my job, I very frequently need to park/secure my vehicle to get out and make a delivery.  I'm about to have to buy a new (used) vehicle.

As far as long-term reliability goes, which would be better, an automatic transmission with frequent shifting between drive and park and back, or a manual, where most of the parking-related wear and tear would be in the parking brake system?

Reliale=reliable  (bad keyboard!)

• W

I prefer a standard transmission. Automatics are for gurley-men.

As long as you've completely stopped before shifting, both are good & with maintenance, will last for many years. Shifting without a full & complete stop is very hard on the transmission, it's computer & u-joints.

• None1 month agoReport

Also a manual transmission doesn’t have a computer. Also even if we assume you’re talking about an automatic you’re still wrong. Shifting from forward to reverse before coming to a complete stop didn’t harm any computer in a car especially the transmission computer. 

Automatics are designed for shifting back and forth between Park, Drive and Reverse. Just make sure you're stopped before you do that.

Anyone who believes you don't need to use the parking brake with an automatic transmission believes wrong. Neither transmission is going to wear out any faster just because of what you do.

An automatic transmission doesn't wear from being put in PARK all the time.

Doing deliveries you likely drive in traffic or the city with many stop signs which means you're using the clutch a lot.

The automatic is a better choice. You'll be replacing the clutch on a manual tranny.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • None1 month agoReport

That’s a lie, if you don’t use the parking break and just put an automatic in park it WILL wear the transmission quicker. No vehicle is designed to be simply put in park (or gear for a manual) to hold the vehicle in place. 

Many do it, but it’s unnecessarily wearing out their transmission. 

I've gotten the same service from automatics and manuals over the last 50 years, though I had some wild years drag racing and trashed a few autos and manuals. Driving right though, Either one can last as long as the rest of the car.

• arther

auto for traffic and frequent stopping if you like to leave the engine running at a quick in out stop. No clutch to wear out.

The manual transmission itself if probably more reliable, but the clutch won't be.  The start/stop/shifting gears will get old pretty quick on the manual if you have a lot of deliveries.

Go for the automatic.

• Kaz

I think automatic would be more reliable and less of a hassle.  If only for ease of operation making deliveries, frequent starts and stops.  There'd be more wear and tear on a manual transmission (clutch, emergency brake), more things that could go wrong on it, so I'd pick automatic.  Just my opinion.

i would ask a mechanic about it

• None1 month agoReport

That’s true, just because they know how to fix a car doesn’t mean they know how to drive one or what is better automatic or manual. 

Really there is no better it’s personal preference,  it’s have pros and cons.