Tire shop installed rims incorrectly, what can I do?

Hi! So lemme start by saying I’m 18 and know almost nothing about cars. In January I purchased a used set of rims, lug nuts & hub adapters Not included (which I didn’t know I needed) i bring the rims to my local tire shop and ask what is needed to have them installed on my car, they said it just needed different lug nuts. So they order those, a week later I bring my car & rims in pay $600 have new tires mounted and the rims installed, I drive away happy with what I thought was a good job done. Almost two months later I’m driving on the highway and my car starts violently shaking at first I thought I broke a motor mount, I slow down inch as close to my house as I can stop at a light and the car won’t drive again. I pay to have it flatbedded to my mechanic who tells me the problem was that hub adapted were not installed and that the lug nuts broke off, this caused $1,900 in damage. I’m a delivery driver for literally every app (Uber Doordash, IC, etc.. all of them) my car hasnt been drivable for almost a month & I’ve lost nearly $3,000 income due to this. I talked to the owner of the shop, he’s putting the blame on me for not having lug nuts or adapters when I bought the rims. All I want is my car fixed so I can go back to work, the shop owner is insistent that this was entirely my fault even though I trusted them to correctly install the rims and specifically asked WHAT IS NEEDED TO INSTALL THESE RIMS. Never did anyone tell me I needed hub adapters they only said new lug nuts

you bought the wrong wheels for your car ..wheel adaptors??? not in europe ..way too dodgy ..cowboys only ..happened two months after fitting ...who knows what you were doing in that time ...hopefully you have learned a lesson

• Geo

Wheels are DIFFERENT on DIFFERENT vehicles!!! The WHEEL BOLT PATTERN is the number of wheel bolts (Studs) and the spacing between the bolts. Mine is 5X124.3 and the Hub or CB is 71mm. You can look up your specs online, if you listed your car I would have done it for you. You need the Bolt Pattern to be right, but if the Hub is bigger you an get Hubcentric Adapters to allow the wheel to rest on the hub. You don't want the wheel to float on the hub, you'll break studs doing that. I had a Nissan PU with 107mm Hubs and wanted to put rims with 110mm Hub. So I ordered 107x110 Hubcentric Adapters. BEST BET: Order the Rims you like with CORRECT pattern and hub and offset...no adapters needed. Go to Tire Rack.com and punch in your car and you can see what different rims look like on Your Car.

• M.

I can almost read your invoice. 

The wheels either FIT your car or they DON'T fit.  If they don't fit, you can't install them.

Wheel adapters are generally not safe, in MY OPINION.

Hub locator diameter is very important to match.

The "bolt circle" dimension must match.

Lugnuts (the thread diameter and thread pitch) match the car, so generally you can reuse YOUR original lugnuts, unless your OEM lugnuts have a clearance problem, like on a spoked wheel.  Then you can find a reduced size, same thread lugnut that fits the wheel.

Some people don't understand mechanical objects, and those people should not be changing wheels on their own car or acting as a knowledgeable/trained mechanic and changing wheels on other people's cars.

I'm sorry you had this problem.  Be glad that no people were injured.

If I correctly understand what happened, then the shop that you hired to install the wheels is NEGLIGENT.

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

Okay you brought your own parts However did they order any parts , did they get the wheel adapters , Even though you supplied the parts If they ordered any parts for it , and you have a receipt That's in your favor What you can call this Is even though you got the parts The fact is you paid for his expertise in installing them did they tell you they replaced something and didn't If it was just the rim failing That's on you . In the mechanical end the hub adapter Were you told they were installed If they were not Whee are they cause you said you brought them in ? Or did you or the tire shop get them You need to get a lawyer and see if you have a case It sounds as if you might Cause the wheel failed from piss poor installation Had the wheelks been installed correctly the lugs would not have broken . You paid for having them installed correctly yet they were not I think you do have a case  Gotta be careful of the legit looking butchers out there Tire shops are notorious for butchery and stripping stud , over torqued lug nuts etc etc Good luck But I really think you have a case here Cause your parts failed due to bad installation However if he made you aware of how he did things of what he didn't do Then your screwed read the fine print on the receipt you got from the tire shop Everything should be clear as day on the receipt 

First you said you had hub adapters. You put the wrong wheels on your car and the installation was done wrong. Put the original wheels back on and do your job. There are work cars and there are show cars. You have a work car. Whoever is at fault for your car breaking down, the bad luck started with wanting the wrong wheels on it.

Yeah good luck getting anything out of anybody it's your word against them if it ever goes to court they're simply going to tell the judge that you said to install the wheels and that they did install the wheels using what you provided. I'm sorry it happened I can only wish you good luck. You might have some recourse from your insurance company if you have full coverage insurance tires falling off and wheel lugs breaking is considered a casualty. I would stay away from telling the insurance company your story just tell them that you were driving and the wheel broke causing your car to be damaged.

When you supply the parts, you assume the liability that the parts are correct. I get it that you asked the shop what else it needed, but they're your parts. They're not required to know what additional parts your parts require. As long as they installed what you gave them and torqued the lug nuts to the proper specification, they're off the hook. This is the #1 downside to bringing your own parts. This is why many shops refuse to install customer parts.

• Assahola

Yeah but  a legit shop would not even install them on the first place if fitment issues came up when installing Also tire shop if the place is any good Can look at almost any wheel and tell if it'll fit Where in from that's the service you get The fact is The shop NEVER SHOULD HAVE "MADE THEM fit 

• arther

you supplied the rims , you will find its your problem . Learn from this and don't modify things you know nothing about.

If you can gather the evidence, you can file a complaint against the shop.  Your state has an agency that keeps an eye on car dealers and repair shops.

If that doesn't work, you can take the shop to small claims court.  I don't think you can get them to compensate you for lost work, but the should certainly pay for the damage they did to your car.

If you have a receipt for the hub adapters, and photos or a written report showing the  hub adapters weren't installed, you have a solid case!

Hire a lawyer. As alleged "professionals", the mechanics should have either told you what was needed so you could get it or get the parts themselves. They have a legal obligation to do the job properly.