Can my boss force me to quarantine after returning from vacation? ?

I live in California, I am flying to New Jersey, but there is no travel quarantine required for either state. Even though New Jersey has been so bad. I’ve had this vacation set in place since before the COVID Crisis and now she is telling me that if I go, I must quarantine for 14 days because she is liable if anyone gets it because of me. I get paid commission and not hourly, so if I don’t work, I don’t get paid. 

However, she is not screening any customers entering the store about their travel plans, nor did she make our other employees quarantine after their travel. 

I understand it’s her business, but there is no order saying I must stay home, I feel like it’s not right that she is forcing me to quarantine. Any thoughts or ideas? 

She can't force you to quarantine...but then she is under no obligation to keep you as an employee either.

• Scott

He's your boss, he can't make you self quarantine, but he can fire you if you refuse.

What is certain is that your employer can keep you from working for 14 days when you get back.  What is not so clear is whether or not you would have any recourse for her doing so.  Between all the existing rules, new rules and temporary rules, this is all one big jumbled mess.  Even if you do have recourse, it's not a situation that is likely to be resolved quickly.  

You should assume that if you go on this trip that you will have two additional weeks tacked on to the end of it where you will not be compensated anytime soon, if at all.  Whether or not you have the savings to handle that missed paycheck is something you should take into consideration when determining what to do.    

• Steve

I dont know if she can force you to quarantine, but she damn sure can keep you away from her business affectively firing you for not following her or the states guidelines.

Barring local laws to the contrary, yes.

"But Mommie, he did it too" is not a valid reason.