Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

In the US, why can an 18 year old join the military and own a gun but it's not legal for an 18 year old to drink and smoke?

I know that the laws change in different states and cities but it's still a flawed system.

GO REGISTER TO VOTE and REPLACE ALL THE POLITICIANS who have been in office for more than two terms. PUT all new younger people in office then you can go complain and cry. PUT in new people who will change the laws again.. GET RID OF ALL CAREER POLITICIANS and MAKE TWO TERM LIMITS FOR ALL ELECTED OFFICES.

Could it be that to fire a weapon for defense or hunting doesn't really require such a keen mental mentality as people think on such matters. So, you get this age difference of when one's truly in adult. 

I thought you can be 18 to smoke or has that changed recently?

Maybe since I'm older now or my environment. This whole drinking thing isn't really a big thing for me. Not supposed to drink. Lessons the effect of one of the pills I take for GERD. Acid Reflux tends to really suck. The VA. The Great, and Wise believe that I'm an alcoholic. "They" think such for all military. If I seriously was, wouldn't "they've" would of picked me up pissed drunk from the casino that's the next block of our location?

That is a very good question that has been the subject of debate for a long time. I do not know the answer to that question, but I do believe that a 20 year old that just returned from a 12 month deployment should certainly be able to drink a beer with his friends.

Source(s): Myself. I was active Army.

Get it right. A soldier can join our military at 16. Not all 18-year-olds can buy guns either. Maybe, to solve your problem, we should simply raise the age of owning a gun to 21.

Blah, blah, blah. 

ETA: If you ever do enlist, you’ll see what complete idiots kids make of themselves when they are allowed to drink or drink illegally. It’s really not something you should be proud to do.

because congress said so

They lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 in 1971 because of pressure from people who argued that if you were old enough to be drafted, you should be able to vote for the people sending you.

When they did, politicians in all the states raced to lower the drinking age to 18.  (In Some states it was already 18).  They also eliminated the very unpopular draft in 1975. 

Then they discovered that most 18 to 21 year olds don't vote anyway, and those that vote tend to vote like their parents and are not aware of who will promote their interests. 

So in 1984.  Mother Against Drunk Driving donated tons of money to the Reagan campaign and he passed a law saying  that any state that didn't raise the age to 21 would lose all federal highway money.

If 18 to 21 year olds were to only vote for candidates who want to repeal that law, I think it would quickly be repealed.

Cigarettes to minors has always been illegal, but it was never enforced.   Also, they would sell to a minor if you had a written note, that you said was from your parents.

Tell that traffic accident statistics where drinking was involved.

It’s correct you can join The US Military and vote at age 18.  Drinking age is universal at 21 in the USA, cigarettes are still governed by the states.  

we train young men to drop fire on people but their commander wont allow them to write fucķ on yahoo because its obscene

• Your Uncle Dodge!

Their commander (of just the 18-year-old volunteers and volunteer co-workers) doesn't give a rat's posterior about most social media.