Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 4 months ago

I am a Civil Engineering Technology student at a community college in Canada. Eventually, I plan to get my full degree.?


What are some of the certifications that I can get that will be beneficial for me in the field of Civil engineering in Canada or outside ? I am looking for some beneficial and quick certifications that I can get by self studying and taking the test. Please advice!!

6 Answers

  • 3 months ago

    You might want to consider being a resident engineer or sometimes they call that an inspector.  If you go on for your BS degree just make sure you go to an accredited college.  I don't know what Canada is like but in the U.S. it's a plus to get your P.E. license.  To get that you have to pass 2-8 hour federal exams.  I passed both exams but they are not easy.  Personally I think working in construction is the best opportunity for salary & advancement. I could not stand sitting in front of a computer all day.

  • Joseph
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    You will get a big promotion and a raise if you get Professional Engineer certification.  This usually requires an undergraduate engineering degree from the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board accredited institution.  You can find more information on Engineers Canada website:

    Another useful certification is the Project Management Professional.  To get this certification you have to pass an exam that tests your knowledge of initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing out the project.  

  • 4 months ago

    Community college education does not qualify as a engineer. With this diploma, the best job is qualify to become a technician in civil field. No short cut, require attending full time courses in three years and must pass all the requirement courses to obtain a diploma that is  not a degree and ever qualify to work and sign document as a engineer  . 

  • 4 months ago

    There is no quick short cut to a Fully Accredited Degree. Bite the bullet and do the work. Most technology credits are not transferable.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    Speak with your advisor. They should be able to guide you in the right path with the curriculum that the college offers.

    In the U.S., you need to have a professional engineering license to sign off on projects. The PE process is something like a 5 year ordeal, definitely not something that is quick. Canada has different rules than the U.S., so you'll need to talk with your advisor.

  • 4 months ago

    Good for you. 👍

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.