Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 month ago

what do you think about adoption?

/im adopted and I just wanted peoples opinions

I'm neutral on the subject. That is, I'm happy for people who had a good life due to adoption. But then there are people like my sister, whose existence I only learned of a couple of years ago. Her adoptive parents loved her in their own way, but they weren't always as nurturing as she needed when she was little. Now that my sister and I have met each other and had a chance to learn about each other's lives, we both wonder if she might have had a happier childhood with her birthmom. So really, it can go either way.

I'm an adoptee and an adoptive mom.

I'm thankful every day that my original mom who was unprepared to parent me chose to let me live my one, irreplaceable life and let me be raised by parents who were ready to parent.

Honestly?  I don't sit around thinking about adoption, but i know a couple kids who were adopted when i was growing up. Their parents were so thrilled to have them in the family. And they were a big part of the families, too. 

I'm very grateful that adoption is available. But I think it should be funded by the government as much as abortions are. Actually, it shouldn't cost a cent for people to adopt. It should be as free as it is to give up a child to an adoption agency. 

I’m definitely planning on adopting a child when I’m a bit more stable. I think it’s a great thing

If you are adopted by good people, it could end up being a better scenario than being raised by two biological parents, if those 2 people happen to be dysfunctional. Having your biological and blood related relatives is no guarantee, that people will love each other, bond with each other, or desire to be connected. I have family members and they are dysfunctional... and we are separated from each other. I would not mind adopting a child. Having a "good" family has much more to do with love than with blood.

I was in foster care. I wish somebody had adopted me. Foster care doesn't help you after you turn 18 or 19. Unless they want to. There's nothing like having a real family.