Why do I feel suffocated when wearing a face mask? Is there a mask that doesnt cover the nostrils?

I cant breathe with the mask out in public

About coronavirus

I have a deviated septum and allergies so I sneeze alot

If you are using cloth mask that is not certified, it could be that the material is not very breathable.  Maybe you could try a different mask.  Otherwise, its probably just the sensation  that you can't breathe.  If you are wearing a breathable mask, you are almost certain to breath in sufficient oxygen and expel sufficient CO2 even though it feels like you cannot breathe.  

• Lynn2 weeks agoReport

What fabric is most effective for filtering virus particles?  

I feel the same way.  I've tried the papery and cloth ones.  It's very hot to wear them, too.  I also have a deviated septum and allergies.  I find myself wearing them into the store and then pullling it down while shopping, unless I approach a group of people.

• Andy C

Are you using a mask that is breathable? Like every one I've seen?

Trolls don't need to wear masks as they rarely leave the basement.

Cotton masks breathe a lot easier than the medical ones at the store. 

• Edna

I have emphysema, and I often find myself having to breathe through my mouth, especially when I exert myself. I am simply unable to breathe or take a deep breath if I have a cloth or paper mask over my nose and mouth. Therefore, I never wear one.

• Terry

You won`t have to worry about it when you get the new virus and die drowning in pus.

• kelvin

than what is the point in wearing one

No. Covering the face is the point of the mask.

• Jason

1) Yes, you can breathe. Unless you have a VERY severe deadspace disorder (like stage IV COPD or a severe pulmonary embolism) the amount of CO2 you rebreathe is completely inconsequential. Even an N95 only minimally increases CO2; a surgical mask has no effect. Ask anyone who has spent hours and hours in an OR.

2) If it doesn't cover your nostrils, you're not wearing a mask. A surgical mask is not there to protect you -- it protects other people. Nobody in the OR is worried about catching something from the patient. The masks protect the patient from the staff not the other way around. The reason people need to wear masks is that you can be carrying the virus and not know you have it for several days. You can't assume you're fine just because you don't feel sick. Wearing a mask decreases your ability to spread droplets. Just breathing creates aerosol particles that can carry virus. So if the mask doesn't cover the nose and mouth, it isn't doing anything at all.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my masters in nursing
  • Mandy

If it isn’t covering your nostrils, there is no point in you wearing it.