Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 5 months ago

Taking the concept of fusion cooking, what 2 ethnic styles of cooking do you think would be a good combination, and what examples?

No this isn't me asking for help on homework, I'm asking because I like to hear people's creative ideas.

Anywho, like do you think Mexican/Italian would be a good fusion? Greek and Cajun? French and Japanese? What meals would be a good example of this from your experience?

Might give me a good idea for something to try later.

• Alpha

Actually, just about any cuisine you get outside of the country of its origin has been "fused" with the style of cooking where you live. Case and point is the vast majority of Chinese, Japanese, Italian, and Mexican foods in American restaurants have all been altered to American taste and bares little resemblance to what you would get in the country of origin. So, what passes for Chinese food in the US is actually American-Chinese food, the same for American-Japanese, American-Italian, and American-Mexican  cuisine. In the UK, much of the Indian cuisine are also similarly altered so they are in fact British-Indian foods.

• denise

I have Indian Butter Chicken [curry] with pilau rice and Italian garlic & cheese bread quite often.

I also like a Spanish Omelette with some Greek salad.

• French and Japanese, that’d be very interesting in some Michelin places. 

Korean and Mexican-American

Indian and Brazilian

Vietnamese and Puerto Rican

• John

When I was 10 or so, my mother bought Mexican tomato sauce by mistake and made spaghetti with it. Just a base for the homemade sauce she did. It had some heat and a Mexican food character to it but it was very good. We liked it. I have no problem with putting the things you would put on tortilla normally, on pasta somehow. Refried beans would be gross but if you did it thoughtfully it could be real good. 

• kswck2

Depends on how extreme you want to be. Safe routes are like Chinese and Japanese, or Chilean and Brazilian. Extremes would be like Mexican and French, or American Southern BBQ and British.