Do struts differ on different engine sizes on the same car?

I was going to buy my 2009 Accord 3.5L V6 some new struts and I noticed when trying to buy new struts that some listings were selling the front pairs and saying that the specific strut was compatible with both the 2.4L 4 cyl and the 3.5L V6. I saw another manufacturer selling the struts with V6 only or 2.4L only instead of both. Is there a difference? There's about $20 difference in price between the two, with the cheaper one being the listing that says it can be used on both models.

• Dan

It's a big job and an alignment will be required, don't buy cheap ones. The V6 is heavier and will require different struts if you want correct handling.

This sounds like a classic case of - if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you replace the OEM struts with cheap junk or do an amateur job of it you'll be further behind than when you started.

• That’s what I assumed. The struts are definitely shot. I won’t cheap out on the parts and I’ll take it to get to get an alignment afterwards. Thanks for the info 

Don't buy struts on line. Go to Advance Auto. I've used the Monroe Quick Struts they sell with good results. They also will sell you the correct strut for your car! They can get KYB struts if you want a stiffer more sporty ride.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Your best option is to call a Honda dealer service department.  Ask the price of one on a 2.4 and one on a 3.5.

• Barry

Phone a Honda dealer parts department and ask. Usually the guys on the counter are helpful.