Proper bass technique?

I am just starting learning electric bass. Anyone have a way I should position my right hand so my wrist isn’t bent too dramatically? I have long arms so should I just lower the bass toward my waist? Because I’ve been told not to wear it too low. I see a lot of stuff out there but I’m looking for the one definitive way for a beginner in terms of proper posture and positioning.

The best thing would be to take the advice of a good teacher.

A guitar or bass should be more or less in the same position when playing standing up as it is when playing sitting down (assuming you have the correct posture when sitting - back reasonably  straight, not hunched over the instrument). 

Obviously you need to be comfortable when playing and not be in a position where you either can't easily reach the strings and frets or be likely to cause physical problems long-term. Also, of course, whether you play with a pick or fingers affects the position of the wrist.

• GA41

Don't over complicate the issue.  Find a position that is comfortable.  If your wrist is bent too dramatically and it is uncomfortable, lower the bass.

You really have to strap it higher if you don't want to kill your right wrist. People strap it lower so they can look cool.