Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 month ago

Is this medication worth it?

I’m recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I have pcos and my hormones are all over the place wreaking havoc on my body. I’m sensitive to medication and usually get hit with side effects. I don’t want to take a medication that can help one problem but cause worse problems (yay, your diabetes is better but the meds gave you cancer). 

So, how is Victoza? My choice is try meds or have gastric bypass 

• That's a pretty heavy-duty medication for a just diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Most doctors will start you on Metformin which is cheap, benign, and works. If this is a primary care doctor, I'd ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

When you were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes you would have been referred to a dietitian who would have advised you on what foods to eat or not eat but if you follow a healthy diet and do basic exercise you will lose weight and the meds you take for type 2 don't give you cancer and Victoza can help with weight reduction. I was diagnosed with type 2 several years ago and sticking to a healthy diet and exercise I lost 28lbs and my partner also type 2 and very overweight has lost 84lbs. I don't recommend the gastric bypass as friend got it done and she regrets it. Good Luck

Is the medication worth it?  Yes it is.  But you have type two diabeties so you could do something about that without medication.  You could lose weight and exercise more.  Yes, there I said it.  Most people with type 2 are fat and/or obese.  So they have more mass than their Islets of Langerhans can produce in insulin.  Lose the mass, and your body will be able to keep up with need.  Also eat healthier.  More vegetable, less sugar laden starchy crap from the standard American diet.  Change your diet, and you will change your life and lower your type 2 diabetes risk.   It could also help your PCOS and hormone control.  All of these things from a better diet and more exercise.