What has caused more damage, the Covid-19 virus or the government lockdown restrictions?

I personally think the government lockdown restrictions has caused more damage than the Covid-19 virus.

Favorite Answer

Unless you know the financial situations of every family that lost a breadwinner it's really hard to say which is causing the most damage. You'd have to to balance the higher taxes we'll all have to pay against the individual disasters some families are facing.

• Paul

The virus has certainly caused more lethal damage.

• Jim2

Covid-19, definitely. The lockdown was to prevent it from getting worse. God knows what it would have been like without the lockdown. The lockdown was absolutely necessary.

I would say the virus... since it caused the lockdown in the first place... and people haven't abided by it anyway and - are contracting the virus.

Before the virus ever touched down here the only people I knew who have died either died of a chronic illness they fought for years... or old age.

Now... I knew or I knew... two people who have died from this virus... 

I'm not sure of the exact time frame but one person was gone within 5 days of me hearing he had tested positive... 

This debate will go on for years..The lockdowns have clearly done irreparable harm to the economy.. They have also clearly saved lives & knocked down the virus in some areas. Many contend that without lockdowns the economy would be wrecked anyway because lots more people would be getting sick & the panic would be worse..Time will tell us more.

They both have helped this country more than they have done damage to it.

The virus.

Without lockdown, we could be looking at 70 million dead in the USA.

• L. E. Gant

The model that calculated 70 million was overly simplistic. However, the spillover effects would have increased deaths by other causes because of overloading the medical systems, but overall, only an increase of around 6% of the normal expected deaths

damage in terms of lives lost  or damage in terms of money lost?

what is more important to you, human life or material goods

• Fell In Love

human lives but I'm also concerned about the business owners who had to shut down their businesses because of this virus 

people that think like you are the reason why america is a mess and full of cases 

If you put more value on money than lives then, yes, you are correct, and evil.