have you ever used or heard anyone use the word "shuteye" in everyday conversation?

I have seen this word used a lot in articles about sleep, but never in every day speech. It works in writing but it seems like it would be easily confused with "should I" or even taken as an insult or threat when used in speech.

Yes, I've heard it used in cowboy movies!  Not used much today.

I don't think it's confusing if the speaker--or writer, uses it correctly.  The correct context would be in a conversation about sleep, or the need for sleep.  EX:  I couldn't sleep last night, so I need some serious shuteye tonight.'  

A common enough expression, although I guess it is not a topic of conversation that comes up very much. "You should've got a better bed (better for your head): better heads need shuteye."

• Kate

"Shuteye" is quite a common expression. eg: Well, I am for some shuteye now meaning I am going for a sleep.

Yhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Jeremy

My mother used the phrase regularly as she became older and needed a sleep in her recliner chair. She's say - "don't think I'm ignoring you but I need and little 'shut-eye' " and then she'd fall asleep for an hour or so.  I now use the phrase with my children when they visit.  A little shut-eye is a wonderful thing when exhausted or just tired because of age.  Context is important. I'm surprised that you think it could be confused with 'should I' because I doubt the word would ever be used on it's own, it would always form part of a sensible sentence.

Context is everything. If you're talking about sleeping, napping or dozing, no one is going to mistake the word "shuteye" for "should I" or any sort of threat. That's not really how conversation works. 

Quite common in the north of England where I live.

It's a bit old fashioned, but still in use, in informal situations.

I cannot imagine how you would think it could be 'easily confused' with 'should I'. A, the sound is quite different, and B, the CONTEXT  would make it clear.

As for it being 'taken as an insult or threat', I truly wonder what world you live in! HOW exactly could 'Well, I'm off for a spot of shut-eye' be construed as an 'insult or threat'?

yes, I use it.

Yes, I have, and I don't know how anyone who is halfway paying attention could confuse it with 'should I' or with any threat or insult I can think of. Should and shut do not have the same vowel sound. And even if the speaker doesn't speak clearly, the context tells you what you're hearing. I'll write a couple of sentences using the wrong phrase in each, and you decide if you could get them mixed up.

I'm tired today. I guess I didn't get enough should I last night.

Shuteye buy this dress?